• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Security Forums

FAQ | Search | Usergroups | Profile | Register | RSS | Posting Guidelines | Recent Posts

Secure Deletion.

Users browsing this topic:0 Security Fans, 0 Stealth Security Fans
Registered Security Fans: None
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Anonymity // Privacy // Spam

View previous topic :: View next topic  
amokk1
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 4:19 am    Post subject: Secure Deletion. Reply with quote

I recently discovered that I could retrive back data I had deleted using a program called Restoration.

Is there any programs that could make recovering deleted data impossible ?

Thanks.
mjuarez
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 5:03 am    Post subject: Re: Secure Deletion. Reply with quote

amokk1 wrote:
I recently discovered that I could retrive back data I had deleted using a program called Restoration.

Is there any programs that could make recovering deleted data impossible ?

Thanks.

Yes, there are a lot. Some of the better known ones are DBAN and shred. You could search in the Forensics forums. Also, take a look here:

http://www.digitalissues.co.uk/html/os/misc/shred.html

Be sure to read both Guttman's articles, they are considered probably the cornerstone of data wiping.

Marcos
sam.spade
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never used shred, but I always thought eraser was a favorite around here.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/eraser

Oh... shred looks like a unix/linux thing, eraser is Win32.

As for recovery software, OnTrack EasyRecovery Professional and EnCase Forensic are two pretty popular recovery utilities. EasyRecovery typically used by more home/power-user settings, where EnCase is used in a more professional/law enforcement type of setting.
comrade
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Secure deletion is risky at best with relation to methods utilizing software on modern hard disks.

Encrypt it before it ever reaches the HD I say.
amokk1
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

comrade wrote:
Secure deletion is risky at best with relation to methods utilizing software on modern hard disks.

Encrypt it before it ever reaches the HD I say.

Interesting Idea. If I downloaded a file of the internet, how can you encrpty it before it reaches the HD ?? *puzzled*
comrade
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

amokk1 wrote:
Interesting Idea. If I downloaded a file of the internet, how can you encrpty it before it reaches the HD ?? *puzzled*

You encrypt the entire partition. (On the fly encryption windows users often call it).

Edit:

Well, theres more subtle ways then encrypting a entire block device - like you could just pipe into openssl/gpg/etc.. but thats more work.
sam.spade
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

amokk1 wrote:

TrueCrypt (with TCGINA being a popular addon, check this post for more info) and Compusec are two popular free options these days.

TrueCrypt is Volume Disk Encryption (you can make a whole drive/partition encrypted) but it wont be able to encrypt the whole OS partition (some of the OS such as swapfile and your user directory can be encrypted and logged on automatically with the use of the TCGINA dll). TrueCrypt utilizes a variety of cyphers and hashes, I reccomend using the Twofish cypher with the Whirlpool hash).

Compusec has the advantage of Whole Disk Encryption (you can make the whole drive, including your "whole" operating system encrypted. Compusec utilizes AES-128.)

Both are reasonably believed to be secure.

Moderator note: Please do not use nested quotes - capi
wijacker
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 9:13 pm    Post subject: Related Article Reply with quote

Peter Guttman's Method for secure deletion

http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/pubs/secure_del.html

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Anonymity // Privacy // Spam All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: