• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Security Forums

FAQ | Search | Usergroups | Profile | Register | RSS | Posting Guidelines | Recent Posts

Lock internet access or browser .. how?

Users browsing this topic:0 Security Fans, 0 Stealth Security Fans
Registered Security Fans: None
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Connectivity // Telecommunications // Internet News

View previous topic :: View next topic  
isos007
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 7:50 pm    Post subject: Lock internet access or browser .. how? Reply with quote

Can someone please tell me if there is a way to either password protect use of my browser or internet access once windows is running. Other than unplugging the lan cable, basically when I leave my machine I want to be able to leave it accessible but not to the internet. Any ideas?
ShaolinTiger
Forum Fanatic
Forum Fanatic

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's not really possible without a lot of pain.

If someone is logged as you, they can do whatever you do.

It depends on the level of the users you are talking about, you could just password your browser somehow, disable the network connection.

Give us more info, what OS you are using, specifically what you want to stop them from doing and the level of the users you are trying to stop.
isos007
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using windows 98se...I need the users to be able to access all files on the computer however want to prevent them from accessing the internet, if know of an easy way to password protect the browser (software or windows) that would be fine..
ShaolinTiger
Forum Fanatic
Forum Fanatic

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.webattack.com/download/dlexelockx.shtml
flw
Forum Fanatic
Forum Fanatic

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your using a Win OS you can use "Enuff" but it's not free ($29.95). You create parent and child relationship and define access to win or IE or both via a timer. You can create a child with no IE time but 24 hr win time.

Sorry I don't know of a free one.

Or create a proxy setting (fake) and check the box to "Use a proxy server for your lan" when leaving and uncheck it upon your return. As long as you us a fake proxy or if using a proxy change the port from 80 to 8080 they won't get anywhere.
isos007
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for all the advice, this first link takes me to a program which password protects any program you want, which I did to the browser, works great, I will take a look at the second program as well since it sounds like it has some nice features....I should have thought of the proxy idea, also very good idea....
ralf
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2003 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

isos007 wrote:
Thank you for all the advice, this first link takes me to a program which password protects any program you want, which I did to the browser, works great, I will take a look at the second program as well since it sounds like it has some nice features....I should have thought of the proxy idea, also very good idea....

another product which might be of interest is Adhaero Desk (£29.95) ...you can dowload a 30-day trial at www.reflexip.co.uk/desk.htm
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
flw
Forum Fanatic
Forum Fanatic

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2003 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But the proxy concept is free !

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Connectivity // Telecommunications // Internet News All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: