• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Security Forums

FAQ | Search | Usergroups | Profile | Register | RSS | Posting Guidelines | Recent Posts

half-open scanning

Users browsing this topic:0 Security Fans, 0 Stealth Security Fans
Registered Security Fans: None
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Programming and More

View previous topic :: View next topic  
static_-x-_
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 4:02 pm    Post subject: half-open scanning Reply with quote

does anyone know where i may find an example of a port scanner using the half-open technique. I know that nmap has it but its very confusing on looking up the code.

I've created a simple port scanner and now i'm looking to add more functionality to it by implementing the half-open scanning. I think i need to use libpcap and libnet, so if you know of any port scanners that uses these will also be a big help. The language is c by the way. Cheers!
hugo
Forum Fanatic
Forum Fanatic

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: half-open scanning Reply with quote

static_-x-_ wrote:
I've created a simple port scanner and now i'm looking to add more functionality to it by implementing the half-open scanning. I think i need to use libpcap and libnet, so if you know of any port scanners that uses these will also be a big help.

I don't think those libraries are even necessary.

As half-open scanning implies not making a real connection to a socket, but only sending a SYN, and wait for a SYN-ACK, I believe this could be accomplished with 'standard' C code.

I have to say that I have never done this myself, but I do remember a utility called hping that can do this. I am sure that code can help you out a bit.

Hope this helps.
capi
SF Senior Mod
SF Senior Mod

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To send a SYN without going through the protocol stack (i.e. without spending kernel resources on the open connection, and without the kernel later reacting to an incoming SYN/ACK) you need to use raw sockets. You can do it yourself with C standard code, if you have good knowledge of TCP/IP. The point is, however, that libraries such as libnet and libpcap have already taken care of implementing all the header generation, portability, etc.

All depends on what you want to do. If you're in it for the sake of learning, go grab yourself RFC791 and RFC793 and start coding from scratch. If you're in it for more practical reasons, go get them libraries Wink
CabTRR
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

first, you should learn TCP/IP then write your program using rawsocket.Because you have to know about TCP/IP to program with rawsocket..Maybe you can study source codes about port scanners..
Search on the internet..

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Programming and More All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: