• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Security Forums

FAQ | Search | Usergroups | Profile | Register | RSS | Posting Guidelines | Recent Posts

isp emails and 56k boosts

Users browsing this topic:0 Security Fans, 0 Stealth Security Fans
Registered Security Fans: None
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Connectivity // Telecommunications // Internet News

View previous topic :: View next topic  
andrew_1180
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 1:48 am    Post subject: isp emails and 56k boosts Reply with quote

well i had a couple questions.
1. my friend and I both use netzero 56k. from what he tells me he gets about 53.3 kbs using his net zero accoutn. however when i use my account i only get about 28kbs. i've tried using programs such as "tuneup utilities 2006" to try to boost my speed but nothing seems to work. also my house is newer than his so i'm assuming that the phones lines around my house are also newer. Anyways i was wondering if anyone can give me some tips on how to boost it.
2. my second question is. i'm considering changing to a dsl provider for my internet connection if i can't get my inet speeds to boost. Anyways i'm using my netzero email account and i was wondering if after i cancel my account will netzero cancel my email too? because i use that account for credit cards and other accounts and if i lost it i'm not sure what would happen.

-thanks for reading this i know it's a little long but if anyone could shed some light on my situation i'd appreciate it.
tHe pRofeSsioNal
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

try connecting using ur friends modem..
Dud
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

are you using a bt line? if so you may be on a dacs which would limit your speed to around 30k
ryansutton
Trusted SF Member
Trusted SF Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go with DSL.
moondoggie
Lurker
Lurker

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

unless netzero has an option to just own an email account then yes, they will close your email when you cancel service.

as for your modem speeds, there are so many things that can cause slow speeds, but first and foremost is line quality. if you have any noise in your line, or if you use splitters or too long of a phone cord you can cause slowness over your modem. also, if you have a winmodem (most likely) you may need to put an AT command in your modem settings to get good speeds. i think it's AT&F1 or just AT&F should be good enough to get you going, but talk to your isp first before you start putting in commands.

in the meantime, go get dsl if you can. why bother with dialup anymore?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Connectivity // Telecommunications // Internet News All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: