• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Security Forums

FAQ | Search | Usergroups | Profile | Register | RSS | Posting Guidelines | Recent Posts

SNMP for firewalls

Users browsing this topic:0 Security Fans, 0 Stealth Security Fans
Registered Security Fans: None
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Connectivity // Telecommunications // Internet News

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dadragon
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 12:09 pm    Post subject: SNMP for firewalls Reply with quote

A happy new year to you all but it's back to business as usual. Can anyone recommend an SNMP application preferrably for firewalls? I have not had much experience with any but i need something to send me alerts on the state of a remotely managed firewall. For instance, say you were on holiday and the firewall decides to go on holiday on the 1st of January 2006. Can you recommend an affordable/open source solution you have worked with that can send email/sms alerts etc?

Any help you can give is much appreciated.

dadragon
harrylinux
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nagios, I have seen a couple of people use it for network monitoring. It is open source however i haven't configured it so am not sure whether it has SNMP support but at a glance it looks like it can.

http://www.nagios.org/
christiank
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

harrylinux wrote:
Nagios, I have seen a couple of people use it for network monitoring. It is open source however i haven't configured it so am not sure whether it has SNMP support but at a glance it looks like it can.

http://www.nagios.org/

nagios is great, i've used a few commercial apps and would still pick nagios over them!

definitely check it out
ElToro
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently setup a Nagios server to monitor all the network equipment at our site and a few remote sites. It's a very powerful application and not too difficult to setup if you are comfortable with *nix. The important thing to understand is that Nagios is not a true SNMP application. It is really a monitoring application that can use SNMP for some functions. If you are looking for an application that uses SNMP to manage devices, this is not it.

What I really like about Nagios is the fact that it is a plugin based application. The core application provides the framework, the interface and the background functions (logging, alerts, emails, etc). The plugins do the actual "testing". The standard Nagios plugins include PING which can be used as a basic up or down test. There are also more sophisticated plugins that use SNMP to measure things like CPU utilization, interface throughput, disk space, etc.

The configuration can be overwhelming at first. If you take the time to read the manual first, which is very detailed, it becomes relatively simple after fiddling with the config files for 10-15 minutes.
krego
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

download a free syslog program - kiwisoftware make one

setup sysloging on the firewall directing the logs to you syslog server
setup snmp traps directed to your syslog server

configure the syslog server to email you

walla...

you have just spent $0 dollars
Cisco guy
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Cacti has a reporting module available. It's opensource.

http://www.cacti.net/

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Connectivity // Telecommunications // Internet News All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: