• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Security Forums

FAQ | Search | Usergroups | Profile | Register | RSS | Posting Guidelines | Recent Posts

Ongoing Problem with Verizon DSL.

Users browsing this topic:0 Security Fans, 0 Stealth Security Fans
Registered Security Fans: None
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Connectivity // Telecommunications // Internet News

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SecurityX
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 4:00 am    Post subject: Ongoing Problem with Verizon DSL. Reply with quote

Over the past couple of days, my internet connection has been going on and off at certain times. I'm thinking maybe I am getting DDoSed. I use Verizon DSL internet services and I'm trying to figure out the problem. Can someone give me any advice or if anyone here uses Verizon DSL if they are also experiencing the same problem.
Groovicus
Trusted SF Member
Trusted SF Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, welcome to SFDC.

Your Internet connection could be getting dropped for any number of reasons. My DSL used to act up when it rained (until the phone company properly sealed a junction box), your network card might be going bad. I was having issues with my cable a few weeks ago, until the cable company realized that they had oversold my area, and spent two days bringing in new lines. They were kind enough to put me on my own line too. Smile

At any rate, the first call should be to your DSL provider. They will run a trace on your line to make sure that there are no line issues. Then you can go to a site like http://www.dslreports.com/tools and run a speed test to make sure that you are getting what you are paying for.

And just for clarification, when you say that your connection is getting dropped, do you mean that the lights on your modem are going off, or is it just hanging up for a long time? If it is just hanging up, you may need to check your system for malware to verify that isn't clogging your connection.

If you are not running a website, the chances that your are getting Dos'ed are slim to none. Why bother Dos'ing someone's connection when there are millions of web sites that are ripe for the attack. And assuming that your IP is not static, you can unplug your modem for a minute or so, replug it in, and it will assign you a new IP number.
SecurityX
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well at certain points my internet connection stops and I see the red light come up which means there no connection. So I have to keep resetting untill it works. I'm going to call up Verizon to sort this out.
Groovicus
Trusted SF Member
Trusted SF Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be the first step; verify that the line is ok. If that still doesn't resolve the issue, please let us know.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Connectivity // Telecommunications // Internet News All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: