• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Security Forums

FAQ | Search | Usergroups | Profile | Register | RSS | Posting Guidelines | Recent Posts

OSX/Leap-A

Users browsing this topic:0 Security Fans, 0 Stealth Security Fans
Registered Security Fans: None
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Macintosh

View previous topic :: View next topic  
[[Merlin]]
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 6:44 pm    Post subject: OSX/Leap-A Reply with quote

Does anyone have any news on this supposed Mac OS X trojan/virus because I'm reading conflicting reports from different sources. Personally I don't think its much of a problem but I'd be interested in hearing other people's opinions.

This is sopho's description:

"OSX/Leap-A is an instant-messaging worm for the Mac OS X platform. The worm attempts to spread via the iChat instant messaging system, sending itself to available contacts on the infected users' buddy list in a file called latestpics.tgz."
Daisetsu
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leap A is nothing to worry about. All it does is claim to have pictures of the new Leopard OS. This gets people to open the compressed file, which is actually a executable program which has the icon for 'preview'. If you double click on that, AND give it your password then it infects you. Just remember, dont' open strange attachments and you're safe.

Also if you change the system icons to a new theme, these type of attacks fail. Plus there's some realy cool system icon replacements out there.
moondoggie
Lurker
Lurker

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, i've only heard of a handful of people who actually got infected, but then i'm sure a slightly larger handful actually got this virus. if you are up to date on your security then you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Macintosh All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: