• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Security Forums

FAQ | Search | Usergroups | Profile | Register | RSS | Posting Guidelines | Recent Posts

router takes forever to connect to outside network

Users browsing this topic:0 Security Fans, 0 Stealth Security Fans
Registered Security Fans: None
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Connectivity // Telecommunications // Internet News

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sim0n
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 3:25 am    Post subject: router takes forever to connect to outside network Reply with quote

I am running a linksys wrt54gs router on a dual-boot xp and suse 10.1 system w/both a broadcom x440 nic and an intelpro 3945abg card. The problem I am having: under xp, after I connect to the lan, it takes forever for the router to connect to the outside network right after the nic is recognized and assigned an ip by dhcp. I don't think it is a nat or network layer problem because I do not experience this while running under linux.

I have tried cloning the router mac addy, and turning off sygate, which does nothing. I cleared the registry entries for both of the cards and reinstalled the drivers. Again, this did not solve the problem. And it isn't an problem with explorer, either.

It may be a malware problem, but there is nothing suspicious in the hijackthis log.

Also, I recently updated the ieee80211 network stack under suse as it was required to install the drivers for the wireless card (which I cannot get to work). Could this possibly be the cause of the problem? Confused
moondoggie
Lurker
Lurker

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

honestly, it is my opinion that the linksys wrt54g series of routers is garbage in a box. those things have given me nothing but problems of all sorts. if it were me, i would trade it in for a nice d-link router before i attempted troubleshooting any network issues on the client side
sim0n
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing well, i can't say this is the first time i've heard it..
ryansutton
Trusted SF Member
Trusted SF Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

moondoggie wrote:
honestly, it is my opinion that the linksys wrt54g series of routers is garbage in a box. those things have given me nothing but problems of all sorts. if it were me, i would trade it in for a nice d-link router before i attempted troubleshooting any network issues on the client side

I have had the same experiences.
sim0n
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the problem: the 'dns client' service is automatically enabled in sp2. I did a fresh install not too long ago. Disabling resolved the problem. I have encountered this on a few other workstations, but on those, the network service was not working at all, and svchost.exe was using all of the memory.

Also, are there any open-source firmware packages available for the cheap d-link routers?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Connectivity // Telecommunications // Internet News All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: