• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Security Forums

FAQ | Search | Usergroups | Profile | Register | RSS | Posting Guidelines | Recent Posts

Best anti-virus out?

Users browsing this topic:0 Security Fans, 0 Stealth Security Fans
Registered Security Fans: None
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Security Related Software

View previous topic :: View next topic  
slikk
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:44 pm    Post subject: Best anti-virus out? Reply with quote

So I haven't been keeping up with my anti virus and it's about time I have to buy a new one. I've been running AVG for quite sometime, but recently read articles about how the free edition of AVG is not good for your system because it deletes files with out even letting you know, especially some files that allow certain programs to run.

I also heard that Norton is not the way to go either since it's probably one of the buggiest software and slowest (slows down your computer tremendously).

My question is what's a good anti-virus program that protects good, but at the same time is lite on the cpu usage that it won't cause my system to freeze or such. I know there's alot of stuff out there now, so it's kind of hard to tell what's good quality these days.

Thanks in advance.
Almor
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My personal preference is AntiVir Premium, before that I was using AntiVir Classic which is free but does not have as many features.

I would suggest downloading a few different ones and figure out which ones do what you need. http://www.av-comparatives.org/ and http://www.virusbtn.com/vb100/index are usually good for telling you what antivirus software is crap and which ones are worth buying/using.
Ivan84
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using AVG Free Edition, so far so good, just the scanning process take time and eat much computer resources when the scanning process start. But I don't think this is a big problem, because you can set the scanning schedule time to when you are not using your computer (normally when night), of course this will not work if you are using your computer for 24 hours. For Norton, few days ago, I have try the Norton 360 BETA, but I just uninstall it today, It consume too much resource than other antivirus software, I give up. Crying or Very sad

BTW, I just join this forum today, nice to meet you all. Smile
PhiBer
SF Mod
SF Mod

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally do not pay for antivirus and believe that being up to date on patches and browsing the internet safely will thwart 99% of malware. If you will feel "more secure" paying for antivirus software and need something that is well known around the industry, I would suggest NOD32. It is a very fast, lean, and reliable scanner.

A good free scanner on the other hand is one from Avast. You can search throughout this forum on arguments for and against antivirus in general (and the level of protection / false security it could give users).
bellgamin
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you prefer to make decisions based on *hard data* where possible, I recommend you to read the Feb 2007 test reports of AntiVirus programs at AV-comparatives...

*When you get there, click "Comparatives" in the left-hand column.

**On the resultant web page, scroll down to line #13 "On-demand comparative February 2007"

***On line 13 it's your choice. You can read "Online report" or download "Report" (pdf). Or both -- whatever FYB ^_^
datalife
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ivan, Norton 360 is far more than just a virus scanner - so naturally it's gonna need a larger share of the CPU to do its stuff. Don't forget that during beta stage, it wasn't even supposed to run smoothly on all systems.
Painwraith
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use AVAST!

Very nice, very free, does the job. yeah you have to register but hey i can deal with it.
Groovicus
Trusted SF Member
Trusted SF Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just as an interesting side note, I just read an article (I think on MSN) that had a blurb about VirusTotal. Out of over 9000 submissions, all 28 scanners were only successful in picking out 30 bits of malware at the same time. All others were missed by one or more of the scanners.

There is no 'best'.

@Ivan- Welcome to sfdc. Smile

EDIT: Article was here:
http://redtape.msnbc.com/2007/03/bots_story.html#posts
CArmstrong
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree 100% with PhiBer that safe browsing and keeping up to date will go miles (or clockcycles?) towards keeping your machine safe and sound. As for best free antivirus, I have always used and recommended AVG Free from Grisoft. Try them out and pick one you like Smile
PhiBer wrote:
I personally do not pay for antivirus and believe that being up to date on patches and browsing the internet safely will thwart 99% of malware. If you will feel "more secure" paying for antivirus software and need something that is well known around the industry, I would suggest NOD32. It is a very fast, lean, and reliable scanner.
intsecguide
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almor wrote:
My personal preference is AntiVir Premium, before that I was using AntiVir Classic which is free but does not have as many features.

I've used Antivir Classic as well but the pop-up screen with ads for other things became too annoying.

Plus, one of the pop-ups was a little on the risque side and my daughter happened to wake up her computer to it one day. Nothing too serious, but enough that it made me switch.

I'm using the free version of Avast now and it has been working fine for me. Much less of a resource hog than Norton.

Paul
alfred.sanders
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

see ive tried something like about 16 different antiviruses and Id highly recommend Mcafee corporate edition from www.mcafee.com for anti virus and unlike other anti viruses it does not do only the regular stuff, it also blocks worms, trojans and scripts BEFORE they execute. Not only that, it is the only anti virus i've used that can detect script viruses that affect files like desktop.htt and folder.ini and integrates perfectly into the browser monitoring the PC, IM's, Emails, CHATS, IRC and what not!!
bellgamin
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

intsecguide wrote:
I'm using the free version of Avast now...
Avast is quite good, but has below average proactive security. In other words, Avast doesn't provide timely protection against zero-day malware -- malware which is so new that Avast's staff has not yet developed signatures to protect against it.

Proactive protection ensues from the strength of an AV's heuristics PLUS its speed in issuing signatures to cover new malware threats. Avast lacks strength in both categories (heuristics & speed).

Proactive effectiveness of various AVs has been measured recently by two different testing organizations, as listed below...

A) PCWorld (test performed by AV-test.org)

B) AV-Comparatives
2- At the above linked page, click "Comparatives" in left column. This gets you a new page.
3- On the new page, at line "14. Retrospective/ProActive Test May 2007" click "Online results" (or click "Report" if you want to download a pdf copy of the full report.)

Last edited by bellgamin on Fri Jun 22, 2007 8:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
bellgamin
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

intsecguide wrote:
I've used Antivir Classic as well but the pop-up screen with ads for other things became too annoying.
Antivir (aka "Avira") provides above-average Proactive protection. However, if Antivir's aggressive heuristics are set at "High" level, they can sometimes produce a lot of false-positives. This can be compensated by adjusting Antivir's heuristics to "Medium" or "Low" - as preferred.

To eliminate Antivir's notifier (avnotify.exe) AND get additional proactive protection, I recommend using "System Safety Monitor (SSM)" -- a superb HIPS (Host-based Intrusion Prevention System). You can get the free SSM version 2.0.8.583 at THIS link. Then simply add avnotify.exe to SSM's blocked list & that will be the end of your seeing Antivir's notifier.
Pcfreakske2000
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,

Well, I don't want to use freeware antivirus programs.

In my opinion it's better to pay for it.

I use Panda Internet Security 2007 and I'm satisfied with that one.

In the past I have used Norton of Mcafee, but soon I realised that they are not that good and really slowed down your computer.

That's when I discovered Panda from PandaSoftware and I have been using it ever since.

First I tried out the Panda Antivirus Titanium versions, but when more virusses and other malware came on the internet I decided to try the Panda Platinum Internet Security series.

I'm still using that series, although they are now called Panda Internet Security and have TruPrevent Technologies aboard.

This TruPrevent Technologies work as a proactive shield to protect your computer against unknown threats and new malware.

I have seen this TruPrevent Technologies in action in the past and it really works well.
KNOWLEDGE464
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 4:17 pm    Post subject: Antivuris??? Reply with quote

Anyone try to use F-PROT (F-protect) it is a very light anti-virus for networks that use lots of your processes this runs practically silent and will cut anything off from circulation before infection i.e. my MDaemon server has F-Prot and a few users have received a postcard that had a Trojan attached to it. All those users were blocked from receiving email and sending email until the server was scanned and the virus attached was quarantined then with no problems the users were allowed access to their email. Try it is not expensive and one purchase gives you 5 licenses
linkeloetje
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:11 pm    Post subject: How about Microsoft "latest" product? Reply with quote

How well performs Microsoft forefront client and server compared to the corporate versions of, for example, Mc-Afee?

Does anyone has a review of this product in comparison with other products?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Security Related Software All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: