• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Security Forums

FAQ | Search | Usergroups | Profile | Register | RSS | Posting Guidelines | Recent Posts

Optimizing Tiger/Garageband

Users browsing this topic:0 Security Fans, 0 Stealth Security Fans
Registered Security Fans: None
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Macintosh

View previous topic :: View next topic  
elandon
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:21 pm    Post subject: Optimizing Tiger/Garageband Reply with quote

I have a G5 Dual 2.0 with 2GB RAM.

I write music in Garageband and sometimes the system gets so laggy that there is a ten second delay when clicking on anything in the application.

Now, I have looked up Apple's Help on optimizing Garageband, but that really didn't help.

I also notice that in some video files there are hiccups. Call of Duty 2 also seems laggy at certain points, but this could be the "feel" of the game, when there's massive artillery barrages happening.

I have had Macs for years and tinker with them, but I work in a Windows environment and am way more familiar with PCs.

Is 2GB enough RAM? I would think it is, I really don't want to upgrade this anymore right now.
moondoggie
Lurker
Lurker

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

did you get the right kind of ram? apple's specs are slightly different than pc for ram
Sherman Homan
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two gigs is plenty. Have you done fun things like boot in Safe mode, repair Permissions, repair Disk and run a chron script like Onyx?
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=107392
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=25751
elandon
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your responses:

Sorry, forgot to say- I have repaired/verified permissions, verified the disk, I have an app that actually removes all the junk left over from programs that get uninstalled, I followed a long list of things to optimize OSX from Xlab(can't remember the link offhand)

I don't think that it's a problem with the memory chips themselves since it is only happening in two apps. I have no problems with iMovie or iDVD when I make these huge home movies with pics, clips, and audio.

I still can't completely verify the Call of Duty lag, but it's Garageband that just comes to a halt. I haven't found that much on people having the same issue.
elandon
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I think this is just something with Garageband and software tracks.
Sherman Homan
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a bit of digging around and can't find much with similar Garage Band problems. I realize this thread has gone on for a long time, is there any change in your Mac's behavior? The two comments I got from Garage Band freaks are to delete everything related to GB and reinstall it. Second was questions about how big the files are. Do smaller files behave badly also?
Check back in!
elandon
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I will definitely try to reinstall. I just reformatted my harddrive a two months ago and it still does this, it's happened since I got GB last year or two years ago. I use all software tracks, I very rarely plug an instrument into it and I don't think it is fully meant to be like that.

I have to check file size when I get home. I kow theat they are typically 5-7 tracks running about 2 minutes long. Which seems like it shouldn't lag like that, plus it doesn't always lag, making it harder to troubleshoot.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Macintosh All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: