• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Security Forums

FAQ | Search | Usergroups | Profile | Register | RSS | Posting Guidelines | Recent Posts

Whole disk encryption

Users browsing this topic:0 Security Fans, 0 Stealth Security Fans
Registered Security Fans: None
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Cryptographic Software and Hardware

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Midina
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 8:44 pm    Post subject: Whole disk encryption Reply with quote

Hi people, I'm new to this forum, and I'm very glad because I'm here.
I work in small IT office, and I have to find anything I could about whole disk encryption. Which software is the best, price of it, pro and contra thing about it. So if someone could help, it would be very nice.

Thx a lot
mxb
Trusted SF Member
Trusted SF Member

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What operating system is this for? What is your threat model? How did you come to settle on full disk encryption? I am not saying you are incorrect, but I would be interested on the line of reasoning that got you there.

Martin
off_again
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In general, I have always recommended full disk encryption only when you absolutely need it. For practicality reasons, its a flippin nightmare to manage and look after and often costs more than it may appear on a per user / seat basis. Consider failed hard disks and a general slow-down of performance being two obvious ones to consider.

To be honest, there are plenty of other things to consider first before looking at hard disk encryption to start with. As previously commented, what is the risk model being used and what are the drivers for looking at it? Careful management of desktop access and decent passwords can go a long way to resolving things before resorting to drastic measures.

As for personal recommendations - most of the major vendors are pretty similar in price and functionality. Not much in it really, but I find it hard to recommend one in particular.
jamie
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soon TrueCrypt 5.0 will have partition encryption feature.

Meanwhile there is another open-source program called DiskCryptor, which does WDE (Whole Disk Encryption).
Ltangelic
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is one strong encryption software that I really recommend you to use, it is called PGP (short for Pretty Good Privacy) created and founded by Phil Zimmerman. The current PGP is provided by PGP corporation, and offers a trial period of 30 days. After 30 days, you can still use the trial version of PGP to encrypt files/folders, but will lose important functionality like Whole Disk Encryption.

However, it's VERY important to ensure that it is NOT illegal to use strong encryption in your country BEFORE you proceed to use PGP. Please ensure that it is allowed before you use PGP.

Hope this helps. Wink
duster
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Safeguard easy is as a very good encryption software. with all full encryption be prepared to add another minute and a half to boot up and another 7 seconds to open files. it really slows down your machine

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Cryptographic Software and Hardware All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: