• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Security Forums

FAQ | Search | Usergroups | Profile | Register | RSS | Posting Guidelines | Recent Posts

Gmail-A Good choice for terrorist

Users browsing this topic:0 Security Fans, 0 Stealth Security Fans
Registered Security Fans: None
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Computer Forensics and Incident Response

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ursdestiny
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:04 am    Post subject: Gmail-A Good choice for terrorist Reply with quote

I have been pulling my hair off for the last couple of weeks. I have received an email from a gmail account threatening me to quit my job and having attacks on my companies building. Even though nothing happened but still it created a lot of panic i the office.

I have tried everything to trace the IP address of the sender and found nothing.
Gmail has built a perfect tool for terrorist and SPAM senders. You cant trace it out with out GMAIL help and I don't think Gmail will be helping so many people Sad Crying or Very sad

How to find some solution???????
A B
Networkguy
Trusted SF Member
Trusted SF Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All ISPs (and yes I am classing Google as an ISP in this case) will help in any way possible when a criminal act or act that involves national security takes place.

If this had happened in the UK, EU or US then the correct action would have been to involve the police who in turn would have approached Google who in turn will have assisted in getting the IP addresses etc.

What they won't do however is provide this information to an individual.

So my advice to you would be in the first instance would be to speak with the police but your police system may differ from mine.

Last edited by Networkguy on Fri Jun 22, 2007 1:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ze0h4x
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Networkguy wrote:
All ISPs (and yes I am classing Google as an ISP in this case) will help in any way possible when a criminal act or act that involves national security takes place.

If this had happened in the US or UK then the correct action would have been to involve the police who in turn would have approached Google who in turn will have assisted in getting the IP addresses etc.

What they won't do however is provide this information to an individual.

So my advice to you would be in the first instance would be to speak with the police but your police system may differ from mine.
/agreed
moondoggie
Lurker
Lurker

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

most mail servers should be putting the header info into the emails, but you don't even get that with gmail. not that it can't be spoofed, but it's still nice to be able to see these things
petergibons
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While viewing the message, hit the drop down menu in the corner (the
down arrow next to the Reply) and choose "Show Original"

Regards,

Peter

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Computer Forensics and Incident Response All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: