• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Security Forums

FAQ | Search | Usergroups | Profile | Register | RSS | Posting Guidelines | Recent Posts

Is There a Program That Generates Passwords on Bootup?

Users browsing this topic:0 Security Fans, 0 Stealth Security Fans
Registered Security Fans: None
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> General Software

View previous topic :: View next topic  
handleteam
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:00 am    Post subject: Is There a Program That Generates Passwords on Bootup? Reply with quote

On an episode of my favorite TV show "NCIS", Abby, the forensic lab genius finds a computer that generates a password (I think for a certain file on the computer) on bootup, stores it in RAM, and deletes it upon shut down.

Is there a real program that does this, or is this some Hollywood invention?

I Googled some, but found nothing. I'm not even too sure what search words to use.

Thanks in advance for any insight!
White Scorpion
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you want to do with the generated password?
You mean it changes the password to login randomly every startup?

Then how do you know the password to use to login yourself?
handleteam
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure about the answers to those questions. These shows aren't written for educational purposes! Smile

Let's see what I can remember. Abby finds an mp3 file and there's, maybe???, a steganography file hidden in it? But it has a password and she eventually figures out that a new password for it is generated at startup? Oh, geez, I don't know if I'm remembering that right. She talks so fast. I have no idea how you use the password to login if you don't know it yourself. I just thought the general concept might ring a bell in somebody's head and point me in a general direction (if such a thing even exists).
neobloodline
Lurker
Lurker

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember that episode vaguely.. a fellow fan.. yes.. but yeah it didnt make too much sense.. if I remember whih episode, or if you remember which episode, I'll dig through my collection again and bring up an more info for you regarding that.. I think the mp3 decrypted to the Element Song right.. if I am not mistaken ... Wink

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> General Software All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: