• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Security Forums

FAQ | Search | Usergroups | Profile | Register | RSS | Posting Guidelines | Recent Posts

A disturbing occurence...

Users browsing this topic:0 Security Fans, 0 Stealth Security Fans
Registered Security Fans: None
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Anonymity // Privacy // Spam

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BobBernard
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:56 am    Post subject: A disturbing occurence... Reply with quote

I don't know if anyone would have an idea of what this is, but I'll go ahead and ask anyway.

I often google my name to see some of the old places I've visited and to see if there is any mention of my name somewhere.

I would normally find most of the websites I've used my real name on in the past, but lately (as in the last 7-8 months), I've found my name elsewhere.

I'll find my name on pages that are nonsensical (to me anyway).

When I say they're nonsensical, I mean there's nothing of value on the page;
the page is just some random words and my full name will be intermixed somewhere in it.

These pages disappear, but a new one will reappear the next time I search.

This is the page I found tonight (though my name is there I will not post it):

http://deggat.com/index.php?k=lyndhurst%20park%20hotel

It is exactly these pages I keep finding (Normally one every time I search, and the old pages have disappeared).

These pages seem to mostly be on blog sites (often I'll have to view the cache because $BLOGSITE has removed that account) and the one trait they all share is that they have random words and my name.

I think I should probably be worried about this.

Anyone have any thoughts? PLEASE???? : D

Thanks.

{Edit}

Since this may not be the right forum I'll add that I use Ubuntu Linux. : )

<edit: clearly nothing to do with *nix so moved to privacy forum. AdamV. />
RoboGeek
SF Mod
SF Mod

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your Jessica Alba!!!

Hi there.. lol

No idea why they would do that.. I've seen pages that just insert your search into a nonsense page - you search an obscure term and a page pops up full of randomness and your word isn't even on there
BobBernard
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RoboGeek wrote:
Your Jessica Alba!!!

Hi there.. lol

No idea why they would do that.. I've seen pages that just insert your search into a nonsense page - you search an obscure term and a page pops up full of randomness and your word isn't even on there

My search term is on there; it's my name.
AdamV
SF Mod
SF Mod

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could it possibly be someone else's name that just happens to share some words with yours? In other words, could the junk / splogging site have included all sorts of terms which happen to have the name of someone who perhaps has a load of web posts somewhere and it is actually their name which is being copied as part of the text scraped into the page?

Are there other people in the world with your name? Are some of them more well-known than you in their own particular field?
BobBernard
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AdamV wrote:
Could it possibly be someone else's name that just happens to share some words with yours? In other words, could the junk / splogging site have included all sorts of terms which happen to have the name of someone who perhaps has a load of web posts somewhere and it is actually their name which is being copied as part of the text scraped into the page?

Are there other people in the world with your name? Are some of them more well-known than you in their own particular field?

I have a Greek name that is pretty close to totally unique (!).

Besides, why would I keep finding them appearing/vanishing on several nonsense blogs?

I looked up the word splog; then submitted the page to (found from Wikipeida):

http://www.splogreporter.com/?p=report

If my name was not so unique, I wouldn't be so concerned.
My name is so unique, in the past I would find about five pages of the sites I've used my real name on (and nothing else).

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Anonymity // Privacy // Spam All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: