• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Security Forums

FAQ | Search | Usergroups | Profile | Register | RSS | Posting Guidelines | Recent Posts

recover files after format?

Users browsing this topic:0 Security Fans, 0 Stealth Security Fans
Registered Security Fans: None
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Computer Forensics and Incident Response

View previous topic :: View next topic  
moondoggie
Lurker
Lurker

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:30 am    Post subject: recover files after format? Reply with quote

i have a friend who used her system restore cd that came with her computer and lost all of her files. is there a way to recover those files that were formatted when the restore ran? i have access to r-undelete but haven't tried it out yet.
Sangarsh
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the help of data recovery software you can recover your data from formatted hard drive. Data recovery software may provide 100% recovery depending if the lost files are not corrupted or overwritten. There are lots of tools available online for the recovery just download any one and try the demo first. If you are able to see the data through demo then get the full version to save it. I have used Stellar Phoenix Windows Data Recovery Software and found it good so you can try this one also.

Hope this utility also help you out.
larsmhansen
Trusted SF Member
Trusted SF Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, recovery is unlikely. Not only was the drive reformatted, but large parts of it is now overwritten by the new windows installation.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
bj0rn
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can still get back some of the files, though some will be corrupt because the entire file cannot be recovered. I've used Stellar Phoenix before, and would recommend it highly.
SaraHol
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As above really. This is PARTIALLY 'do-able', but even to get that much it is far from a trivial task, even with the correct tools.

It is not something I would contemplate unless those files are VERY important to her. If the software above doesn't help, search on Google under file recovery, or call in a forensics bod.
capi
SF Senior Mod
SF Senior Mod

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you do opt to perform a more thorough analysis on the partition and are looking for forensics tools, I would recommend using The Sleuth Kit and Autopsy. They are open source, free, and very powerful.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Computer Forensics and Incident Response All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: