• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Security Forums

FAQ | Search | Usergroups | Profile | Register | RSS | Posting Guidelines | Recent Posts

linux domain

Users browsing this topic:0 Security Fans, 0 Stealth Security Fans
Registered Security Fans: None
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> UNIX // GNU/Linux

View previous topic :: View next topic  
duster
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 5:48 pm    Post subject: linux domain Reply with quote

Im not too familiar with linux but here is my question. IT shops thats all linux based is there such thing as logining into a "domain" im currently testing a few distros i dont see anything that refers to a domain concept.
frupert
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really no, i would say use RADIUS if you want a network wide authentication system...
Dan.M
Trusted SF Member
Trusted SF Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure there's an equivalent: It's called LDAP. In fact, Active Directory is just a proprietary implementation of a vanilla LDAP server (that even supports standard LDAP queries).

Essentially, instead of managing your user/computer accounts in AD you manage them in a standards-based LDAP database such as OpenLDAP or Red Hat Directory Server. Setting up isn't all that hard, just time consuming (i.e. you might have to spend a lot of time manually fiddling with things to get them the way you want).

You can even integrate LDAP with Kerberos authentication to get single sign-on for just about everything you can thing of (SSH, web sites, IM, email, etc). Clients would just login to their desktop via their LDAP login and from then on out any authentication would take place via their kerberos ticket. I've actually already got this setup. The hard part is understanding Kerberos =)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> UNIX // GNU/Linux All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: