• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Security Forums

FAQ | Search | Usergroups | Profile | Register | RSS | Posting Guidelines | Recent Posts

Windows FTP alternatives

Users browsing this topic:0 Security Fans, 0 Stealth Security Fans
Registered Security Fans: None
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> General Software

View previous topic :: View next topic  
graycat
SF Mod
SF Mod

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 4:15 pm    Post subject: Windows FTP alternatives Reply with quote

Afternoon, all

I'm looking to replace our highly underused windows 2003 server with an open source offering based on a desktop hardware.

Bit of an open ended question but does anyone have an suggestions or advice? What do people use in the real world at the moment?

Main points need to be open source, secure (it's in the DMZ already but that's not enough) and easy to use from the end user / file transferer point of view.
capi
SF Senior Mod
SF Senior Mod

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With security in mind, I'd definitely say to go with Hardened Gentoo for the OS and vsftpd for the FTP daemon.

If you prefer something requiring a bit less hands-on administration than Gentoo - while still being at least as secure as Windows will ever be - then go with Debian GNU/Linux for the OS (with the same vsftpd as FTP daemon).

If you find vsftpd too simple for your FTP needs, my next suggestion would be proftpd.

We were using vsftpd on Gentoo Hardened at my university until recently, but we changed over to proftpd because we wanted mixed IPv6 and IPv4 support (vsftpd stupidly requires two separate instances of the daemon, one for IPv4 and one for IPv6).

Outside of the GNU/Linux realm, there is also the option to go with OpenBSD, which is renowned for the importance it gives to security.
graycat
SF Mod
SF Mod

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the affirmation on proftpd, capi. I was torn between that and vsftpd but it looks like proftpd has a wider range of capabilities and will fit the bill nicely.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> General Software All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: