• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Security Forums

FAQ | Search | Usergroups | Profile | Register | RSS | Posting Guidelines | Recent Posts

Pc vs Mac

Users browsing this topic:0 Security Fans, 0 Stealth Security Fans
Registered Security Fans: None
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Macintosh

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hkosmayer
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:45 pm    Post subject: Pc vs Mac Reply with quote

Hi

I was considering purchasing a mac as my next computer can anyone tell me what the benifits would be over a PC?
PhiBer
SF Mod
SF Mod

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not own a MAC but in my opinion, there is hardly anything you cannot do on a PC that you can do on a MAC. I think every argument on the provided link can be debated (meaning that a PC can do everything a MAC can). And the whole security argument...well, if you know what you are doing, you can secure a PC (e.g. Windows) just as well as any MAC.

I think it really boils down to personal preference (and COST!).
moondoggie
Lurker
Lurker

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the cost is largely offset because of the software package that comes with the mac. if you just want a bare system on the cheap then of course pc will always win out. the biggest benefit that i have found for mac is that they are relatively crash proof. if your application dies it won't take the OS down with it. vista is supposed to be better at this than xp, but vista sucks for other reasons. Razz
blackcivic
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own and use my Mac constantly. From my stand point, as well as the other posters on this topic, costs very and it is really all about preference. My reason for switching to Mac is the issue of stability....
The_Real_Gandalf
Trusted SF Member
Trusted SF Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it depends on the usage..

If it is set for home use and strictly on office and design jobs, Apple system is up to it and considerably more stable and provide more ease , for home users.

If it is for dealing with pro jobs... just forget it.

Darwin Core exists of course as a *NIX console , but the balance between usage and cost , increases dramatically. Not to mention lack of proper software for network and systems management/security.

Add to the above that Apple has a strange habbit of locking out , several h/w parts when it comes to compatibillity.

So , it all comes down to what you are , really, going to do with it.

Gandalf
graycat
SF Mod
SF Mod

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just bought a MacBook with the view to using it as my home machine and learning a few different OS's on it so I'll let you know what I in a few days Smile
Advocate
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd point out that in addition to graphics and home use as Gandalf mentioned a lot of security professionals use Macs, not due to the often debated (and most likely incorrect) argument regarding how much more secure they are but because they're excellent and reliable pieces of kit that can (and do) run security testing tools etc very well. Combined with bootcamp or virtualisation software (parallels etc) they're fantastic tools.

I used a macbook pro in my previous security role and it was fantastic for the job but im considering forking out for my own now!
RoboGeek
SF Mod
SF Mod

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

get a PC, delete windows and install linux! Get the best of both worlds - for free!
moondoggie
Lurker
Lurker

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

but linux doesn't have garage band! Razz
Scuba Steve
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my mac i son for days sometimes weeks at a time, it never crashes (ok it has once or twice) but that is in one whole year of almost constantly being on. I personally prefer the interface, and its ease of use, I don't know something about it grabs me. I will still have a PC desktop but as for a notebook? Macbook all the way!
ianm79
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't think there's much i can add that hasn't already been said - there's cost yes, a mac can do everything a windows/linux box can do and vice versa and in between, decent software comes with a mac - but the basic stuff still, yadda yadda.

i love my macs to bits they're great from the standpoint of the quality and difference from a windows/linux machine in both style, workings and software development quality, since i know own a vista machine i can also say i live that to bits too but from the standpoint of the hardware and the media centre features.

so that's me sitting on the fence then Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Macintosh All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: