• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Security Forums

FAQ | Search | Usergroups | Profile | Register | RSS | Posting Guidelines | Recent Posts

I know this sounds silly but, can somebody help?

Users browsing this topic:0 Security Fans, 0 Stealth Security Fans
Registered Security Fans: None
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Programming and More

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bugs_whats_up_doc
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:01 am    Post subject: I know this sounds silly but, can somebody help? Reply with quote

I work for a special needs school in Notts, UK. The school runs a house points system called WAM's (Worth a Mention) where students accumulate points for good behaviour, work, etc..... all the names are put into a hat one chosen who wins a prize. in the past it has just been a volunteer to choose a winner, The ICT teacher who runs it has asked to to look at doing a random name picker on the PC connected to a big screen, and the PC picks one of the name at random when a button is pressed. I did programming but, it was MANY years ago from what I do know i`m thinking should be fairly easy to do in a Visual Basic Program.

Can anyone offer any help not sure where to start.

Thanx
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
toughcanny
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will require to program in any language. First write algorithm or psedu code then implement it

* You must have a database or any storage that will maintain all the names
* Get all names in some array.
* Randomize / unsort the array in new array. You may need 1 or more cycle like shuffling list
* Generate a new random number [index], muliplying, dividing, making hexa and again get a random number ranging within the length of array.
* Pick the element from array at above picked random number [index]
* That element will be the winner.

This is just a sample or startup. You may implement it in your own way.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Programming and More All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: