• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Security Forums

FAQ | Search | Usergroups | Profile | Register | RSS | Posting Guidelines | Recent Posts

Windows Updates - for Windows 7 (64 bit)

Users browsing this topic:0 Security Fans, 0 Stealth Security Fans
Registered Security Fans: None
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Windows

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CarMol
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:45 am    Post subject: Windows Updates - for Windows 7 (64 bit) Reply with quote

If I have posted this to the wrong place, I apologize, but I looked around and could not find a forum for just "Windows 7"...so came here.

One of my windows updates will not install. So I went to the Microsoft download site to do it manually and it said to either run it or save it - but when it got to the page (of course it's never easy) they listed several things here with "Download" next to each one. I don't know if this is all for Service Pack 1 (KB976932) which is the download I need...or if I am only supposed to download some of these? Why do they always have to make it sooo confusing? Anyway, below is the list that appeared: the last two look identical - except one says X64.exe and the other says X86.exe

Download
7601.17514.101119-1850_Update_Sp_Wave1-GRMSP1.1_DVD.iso
1953.3MB
Download
Windows_Win7SP1.7601.17514.101119-1850.AMD64CHK.Symbols.msi
262.7MB
Download
Windows_Win7SP1.7601.17514.101119-1850.AMD64FRE.Symbols.msi
287.8MB
Download
Windows_Win7SP1.7601.17514.101119-1850.X86CHK.Symbols.msi
294.5MB
Download
Windows_Win7SP1.7601.17514.101119-1850.X86FRE.Symbols.msi
330.6MB
Download
windows6.1-KB976932-X64.exe
903.2MB
Download
Windows6.1-KB976932-X86.exe
537.8MB

Moderator note: moved from General Security Discussion - capi
RoboGeek
SF Mod
SF Mod

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

W7 SP1 unfortunately isn't a standalone download yet - you have to use the windows update.
If yours isn't working, try this: turn off automatic updates in Control Panel. Reboot and try to install the update. Assuming no malware, that will normally fix that problem.
georgec
SF Staff
SF Staff

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check this link http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=c3202ce6-4056-4059-8a1b-3a9b77cdfdda
Basically, select one of the last 2 files, if your system is 32 bit then select windows6.1-KB976932-X86.exe, otherwise the other one x64.
If you are having problems installing it then check ths article http://www.windows7library.com/blog/problems/windows-7-sp1-fails-to-install/
CarMol
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys for the responses.

georgec - I thought you had to download all of these compontents (that Service Pack 1 consisted of all the parts that was included in my original email? Are you saying that I only have to download windows6.1-KB976932-X64.exe (I have 64 bit) and not the rest of the components?

RoboGeek: Thanks but it didn't work. I even tried it again by disconnecting my Norton Anti-Virus - still didn't work. It downloads, then it creates a restore point, then it starts to install saying "Installing 1 of 1 downloads - Windows 7 Service Pack 1 for x64- based Systems (KB976932) but half way through installation the red "Failed" comes up. I've tried everything even went to Microsoft page where they had me disable Windows Updates, and then delete all the temporary updates and then Enable updates again...that didn't work either *sigh* I'm not the only one who is experiencing this because I researched it and it seems to be a common problem...just have no idea why this is happening (it's a new computer) and I'm worried because I have no service pack installed.
georgec
SF Staff
SF Staff

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep, thats the one. The others are for different languages! Make sure you have free space on your system drive!
CarMol
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

georgec - thanks so much for all your help. I actually went to Staples yesterday (they had configured my Windows Updates orginally)...and spoke to the tech there. I had him go to the page with the Service Pack 1 download, and he too, said as you said, to download just this one. But he also said that it really wasn't necessary to download it because all it really was doing was updating what was already installed by Windows Updates. He said if I had done all my installations of Windows Updates, then I was covered. I told him all I ever installed was one optional update...but that there was a page for "Installations" separate from Windows Updates and when I clicked on that page, all the installations came up from even before I had purchased the computer in 12/10. There were installations there from August 2010. So I guess when they build these computers, they do these Window Update installations to get everything up and running correctly? He also searched on web and found a lot of complaints that people were having problems installing the Service Pack 1 for 64 based system and said that this will filter back to Microsoft and that eventually they will create either a Hot Fix or a Service Pack 2 which is what I was thinking too. I'm just glad to know that I'm not the only one having problems with this, that it's not just my computer with the problem. So now I don't know if I should still download this or not since this tech said I really didn't have too?
georgec
SF Staff
SF Staff

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, if you had allowed the Windows Update to do its job then I agree with Staples tech and you can skip this service pack! On the other hand, as a technical person I would take SP1 installation failure as a challenge and find out what is the cause!
CarMol
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the thing, I didn't do anything to not let Windows Update do it's job...it just wouldn't do it. That's what the tech guy said about if I had installed all the updates, then I had nothing to worry about and I told him I have only installed one optional update since having this computer (that's all that was available after checking "Check for Updates" But he's saying that everything probably was installed (because it's all listed in the "Installations" link that I click on - installations go back to August '10 (I purchased computer at the end of 2010.)

And I agree, I'm like you, I like to get to the bottom of things to see what the problem is, I did so many different things here but with no resolution. I'm not a tech person so I can't investigate as well as a tech person could. He said that it could be a program I am running that causes interference, language, etc...but then if that were the case, would that cause no updates to be installed? No, because I had downloads that installed today...it's just this Service Pack 1 that will not install. I'm not going to worry about it because I'll make myself crazy..*lol* but thank you so much for taking the time to answer me here. Carly
CarMol
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually installed this update yesterday on my laptop (which is a 32bit) so what I can determine from that is that the problem is in the release of this update for the 64 bit. Hopefully, Microsoft will release a hot fix soon.
georgec
SF Staff
SF Staff

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, the only problem I encountered was with a 32 bit VM! Very Happy
I have installed the pack on a couple of 64 bit machines, all went fine.
CarMol
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh great...I just assumed something was wrong with the 64 bit installation...now I have to believe what the tech guy said that it could be interfering with a program or language that I have running *sigh* I emailed Microsoft, they responded with the obligatory email saying they received my email and would get back to me in a couple of days...so we'll see. Thanks for the info Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Windows All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: