• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Security Forums

FAQ | Search | Usergroups | Profile | Register | RSS | Posting Guidelines | Recent Posts

Topic Reply Notifications

Users browsing this topic:0 Security Fans, 0 Stealth Security Fans
Registered Security Fans: None
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Comments // Problems etc.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fire Ant
Trusted SF Member
Trusted SF Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:04 pm    Post subject: Topic Reply Notifications Reply with quote

I keep getting these emails...

Quote:

You are receiving this email because you are watching the topic, "Hello everyone." at Security Forums. This topic has received a reply since your last visit. You can use the following link to view the replies made, no more notifications will be sent until you visit the topic.

http://www.security-forums.com/viewtopic.php?p=289415#289415

When I click on the link and then I get told its a deleted post. Now I have had about 5 of these over the past few days.

Anyone know whats going on?

Matt_s
Tom Bair
SF Boss
SF Boss

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's very possible that the thread you are watching has been hit with spam... which is later removed by a moderator. But the email notification goes out just after the post is submitted to the thread.
capi
SF Senior Mod
SF Senior Mod

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was the thread where you responded to Emily17 talking about cryptography and its aspects (in the context of securing files and data). As it turned out, the original post to which you replied was merely bait-and-switch spam - Emily17 replied a few days later advertising a particular piece of software she had conveniently "discovered" that did everything she wanted (and completely ignored everything you said).

We've had other spammers advertising the same software before; they're getting more subtle, and unfortunately made you waste your time writing a good reply to someone who didn't care.

The thread was moved into a staff-only section for archival by one of our moderators. You got notification emails due to the reply made by the OP/spammer (where she advertised the program) and replies from our mods commenting the issue.

Since we move problematic threads instead of outright deleting them, this kind of problem can come up and you will get notified for replies you can't read. When it happens, I'd suggest just removing the notification for that particular thread.
Fire Ant
Trusted SF Member
Trusted SF Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Capi,

Nice one, cheers to the update.

Matt_s
Fire Ant
Trusted SF Member
Trusted SF Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I am rather annoyed about this. I spent ages writing a decent response to that spammer. I was half cut as well which made it doubley hard. Grrrr

Damn them spammers.
Groovicus
Trusted SF Member
Trusted SF Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can understand. We get really annoyed deleting spam posts, as well as trying to cross check various members to see who is spamming from multiple accounts, and trying to keep track of sleepers who make a few innocuous posts, and then later add a spam signature.
Tom Bair
SF Boss
SF Boss

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

matt_s wrote:
Although I am rather annoyed about this. I spent ages writing a decent response to that spammer. I was half cut as well which made it doubley hard. Grrrr

Damn them spammers.

The thread has been modified, and placed here:

http://www.security-forums.com/viewtopic.php?p=289286#289286

under the subject of: What is encryption?

Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Comments // Problems etc. All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: