• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Security Forums

FAQ | Search | Usergroups | Profile | Register | RSS | Posting Guidelines | Recent Posts

Buffer Overflow: my "shell"-code does not work

Users browsing this topic:0 Security Fans, 0 Stealth Security Fans
Registered Security Fans: None
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Exploits // System Weaknesses

View previous topic :: View next topic  
vaderlicious
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 4:17 pm    Post subject: Buffer Overflow: my "shell"-code does not work Reply with quote

Hi!

I am occupying myself with Buffer Overflows. So I have learned how to modify the return adress by an too long input. The program execution continues at an other point in the memory, where I have put my Assembler-Code.

I have tried writing a simple "hello-world"-assembler-program, which I wanted to execute by buffer overflow. But despite the EIP-register contained the right memory adress, there occured errors when debugging my (overflowed) program:

Code:
No function contains program counter for selected frame

Code:
Cannot find bounds of current function

So I have three questions:

1. What is generally the best way to convert my asm listing into a hex string? Do I have to use inline assembler in c++ or is there a better possibility?

2. Is it enough to change the EIP register, so that it points to my adress in the memory? Or is there anything else I have to do? (see the errors above)

3.In many tutorials, they put asm-commands like JMP or CALL at the beginning of their asm-code, which they want to be executed. Why do they do that?

Sincerely yours
_vaderlicious
Iņaki Viggers
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Vaderlicious,
Answering your questions:
1. Just assemle the asm code and display with a low-level debugger or hex viewer. No, you don't need inline assembly to exploit a binary. Keyboard is enough.
2. & 3. It depends on the implementation or how the compiler uses the registers. Exploits is one of those fields that should be considered as an art rather than a method with rigid steps and rules.

Please post the program you want to exploit (executable).

Thank you.

Iņaki Viggers

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Exploits // System Weaknesses All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: