• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Security Forums

FAQ | Search | Usergroups | Profile | Register | RSS | Posting Guidelines | Recent Posts

Niche I.T. Markets - Your thoughts

Users browsing this topic:0 Security Fans, 0 Stealth Security Fans
Registered Security Fans: None
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> General Chat

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PhiBer
SF Mod
SF Mod

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:28 pm    Post subject: Niche I.T. Markets - Your thoughts Reply with quote

Doing an e-Business plan for one of my University courses, I am trying to think of some niche markets that are still waiting to be tapped in the I.T. / Technology sector. Can anyone recommend any areas? I was trying to think of areas such as:

Virtualization
    Computer Backup and Recovery
    Business Continuity / DR
    The Internet Market
    Etc

But many fall under the "general I.T. Consulting" umbrella. Perhaps there are some areas that still need resources and new businesses to fill? Perhaps some problems need to be solved for which there are not easily accessible resources and businesses? Starting an I.T. Consultancy firm doesn't seem to be the most lucrative and best business option, but I would like to hear your thoughts.

Any advice/recommendations would be helpful!
Fire Ant
Trusted SF Member
Trusted SF Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PhiBer,

Personally, I think the PKI market is still to be tapped into successfully. 10 years ago PKI was being heralded as the next big thing in IT but during the .com bust companies failed to realise that there market didn't exist, YET!

Everyone knows Verisign but they live in a very specific area of the PKI market. With the advent of the Computer Security Age more people are going to require encryption and authentication services. Both of these would use elements of PKI. Now there are plenty of consultants (some of them good and some of them not) in this market but there aren't many tangible commercial products outside.

Whats coming in PKI?

Key management systems for corporate crypto
Federated authentication services

Just to name a few.

Matt_s
EOS
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Technology integration in the corporate conference room.

Things like specializing in the setup of IP projectors, audio systems, desktop connectivity, smart boards, etc. And one nice intuitive wireless remote console to control the technology.
PhiBer
SF Mod
SF Mod

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both fantastic ideas guys! EOS, yours sounds especially intriguing.

I am still thinking that a business focused on Disaster Recovery / Business Continuity / Security might be able to grab a portion of the I.T. market. What do you guys think?
Fire Ant
Trusted SF Member
Trusted SF Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PhiBer,

I don't think we have seen everything that the security market has to offer. All of your proposed ideas I would say fall in this market. With vendors such as Mcafee and Sophos buying up more niche security vendors I think we will see more of this over the next few years as players want to establish themselves.

Areas like DR and BC have lots of potential, in my experience many companies have non-existence/inadequate procedures and practices. Its a difficult area in many respects, mainly though as its like selling insurance against something that may never happen. Big players in the market are focusing too much though on the IT side of BC. Companies like IBM offer suites to host workers etc.

Through great regulation of industries post 9/11 it is a area that will grow.

Matt_s
PhiBer
SF Mod
SF Mod

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like your insurance analogy Matt. I guess to become successful with BC/DR, you really need to know how to sell well.

Perhaps others can sound off on what other areas they feel are still "niche" areas in I.T. or even talk about their experiences with selling DR/BC?
Fire Ant
Trusted SF Member
Trusted SF Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PhiBer,

Sorry mate but I have a bag or 2 pence coins that I need to get rid of so here goes.

I do think that DLP aka Data Leakage Protection is one of the next big things in IT. Working in security I may be a bit biased but with the current legislation and the current state of play with regards to data security this is going to be pretty big in the next few years. Combine that with the relative ease in which criminals are able to use your personal data for illegal purposes I think its a certainly a growing area.

What you have to remember though is that for banks if the cost of protecting your data is greater than the potential loss then they will not protect it. Don't get me started on "chip and pin"!!!!!!!!!!!!

Matt_s
Fire Ant
Trusted SF Member
Trusted SF Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do think EOS is on to a good point though. For the last 10 years I have been hearing all this stuff from techno companies and the media about remote working and collaboration and I only think that this has really started in the last year or so. I mean look at collaboration, M$ have now released LCS and Groove, there 3rd party integration sucks and is M$ ever pulled their fingers out they could corner the corporate market. SMTP is the standard for email communication but everyone pretty much uses Exchange but there is no MAPI support outside of Windoze. For myself, a Mac users, this sucks as Exchange is very good.

Lets face it, there is no good remote working or collaboration solution yet! There is no integration and no common framework.

Matt_s

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> General Chat All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: