• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Security Forums

FAQ | Search | Usergroups | Profile | Register | RSS | Posting Guidelines | Recent Posts

Adobe Acrobat Alternatives

Users browsing this topic:0 Security Fans, 0 Stealth Security Fans
Registered Security Fans: None
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> General Software

View previous topic :: View next topic  
graycat
SF Mod
SF Mod

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:17 pm    Post subject: Adobe Acrobat Alternatives Reply with quote

well after suffering through creating new Adobe Reader deployment packages, I'm seriously looking at moving the company to other offerings. I mean, a pdf reader application that is 204Mb?! Shocked come on, seriously now

So what are people using out there instead of Adobe?

I've been looking at FoxIt Reader which is free, only 6.5Mb installed and much quicker. Any others you can recommend?

Also, can anyone recommend a PDF creator other than Adobe Acrobat? That thing is huge, slow, prone to issues and we're unable to deploy it as each licence has a different key!! Shocked

[rant over]
Fire Ant
Trusted SF Member
Trusted SF Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

graycat,

Maybe you should remove all your Windows computers and replace with Mac. They may be twice the price but you get a PDF writer with the OS and you get the fantastic Viewer app to view them in. Woohoo! Very Happy

Years ago I remember Jaws PDF being quite good. They were always on the PC Pro CD and half decent to boot...oh yeah and free. Haven't used it in a few years though, not since I went over to the dark side.

Matt_s
graycat
SF Mod
SF Mod

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

matt_s wrote:
Maybe you should remove all your Windows computers and replace with Mac. They may be twice the price but you get a PDF writer with the OS and you get the fantastic Viewer app to view them in. Woohoo! Very Happy
yeah, yeah, yeah. tell me something I don't know! Laughing

matt_s wrote:
Years ago I remember Jaws PDF being quite good. They were always on the PC Pro CD and half decent to boot...oh yeah and free. Haven't used it in a few years though, not since I went over to the dark side.
cheers, will have a look at that one....... mac-boy Wink lol
Tom Bair
SF Boss
SF Boss

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No personal experience, mind you ... but I thought Star Reader was capable of displaying PDF files?
capi
SF Senior Mod
SF Senior Mod

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Adobe Acrobat Alternatives Reply with quote

graycat wrote:
So what are people using out there instead of Adobe?

KPDF works fine for me... (you're not restricted to Windows, are you? Wink)

graycat wrote:
Also, can anyone recommend a PDF creator other than Adobe Acrobat? That thing is huge, slow, prone to issues and we're unable to deploy it as each licence has a different key!! Shocked

Sure... LaTeX is all you need Smile

Or if you want to create PDFs from documents developed in WYSIWYG applications for some reason, then Openoffice.org has a nice "export to PDF" feature.
AdamV
SF Mod
SF Mod

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

read why I’m using Foxit reader for Acrobat PDF files

In that article I also mention I use FreePDF for creating PDF files (usual ghostscript virtual printer method so it works from almost any app).

Using Office 2007 you can get a free plugin so you can do Save As PDF, which is great for all those things like hyperlinks, but is rubbish for some things like pictures with soft edges in PowerPoint (unless you like fuzzy grey borders round everything in your PDF).

FreePDF is light and fast, you can choose how small to make the end result.

In terms of file size output I generally found FreePDF to be smaller than Office 2007 add on, but occasionally it is the other way round by a large margin. No logic that I can find.
D1g1t
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also use FoxIt for a couple of years and feel very happy with it.
But i've read somewahere that it's unable to read some advanced specific PDF's, like ones with animation oк something like that. But, honestly, i have never come across such problems, i think for 99.9% of PDF's it works just fine. (for me - 100% so far)

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> General Software All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: