• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Security Forums

FAQ | Search | Usergroups | Profile | Register | RSS | Posting Guidelines | Recent Posts

Looking for Network Mapping and Server Configuration Program

Users browsing this topic:0 Security Fans, 0 Stealth Security Fans
Registered Security Fans: None
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Security Related Software

View previous topic :: View next topic  
3am
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 2:04 am    Post subject: Looking for Network Mapping and Server Configuration Program Reply with quote

Hi All,
Our organization needs a program that maps our entire network and can tell us how our Servers(DNS, ISA, Exchange, etc.) are configured.

The Network-Administrators who setup our network have left our company for other jobs, but they did not leave any kind of documentation on how our servers were configured. We will soon be upgrading our servers for MS2008, but my boss has asked if there is a program that can get information on how our servers were configured before we upgrade from 2003 Server to 2008 Server.

If anyone knows of an application that can mapp our network and get the server's configuration settings, that would be great. Thanks in advance.

Shocked - 3am
AdamV
SF Mod
SF Mod

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look at this:
Network Documentation Made Easy with SYDI

I've not used it personally, but I know graycat has recommended and used it in the past.
graycat
SF Mod
SF Mod

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AdamV wrote:
Have a look at this:
Network Documentation Made Easy with SYDI

I've not used it personally, but I know graycat has recommended and used it in the past.

Yep, SYDI is indeed a cracking tool to get your documentation going.

For other sections I'd go with:
Mapping AD and Exchange - Microsoft Active Directory Topology Diagrammer (you'll need Visio too)
KeePass for keeping your passwords safe
Excel for storing all the documentation in
a Big Stick (TM) for beating people who make changes and don't document it! Smile
3am
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 6:39 pm    Post subject: Looking for Network Mapping and Server Configuration Program Reply with quote

Hi AdamV, Hi Graycat,

Thanks for the awesome recommendation.

Is there a way to run the script over the entire network and gather information for all workstations and servers without manually entering all the ip addresses? That way, we can find all workstations and servers running on our network and find even a few that we weren't aware of.

Is there a way to output the computername as the file name for word? For example: cscript sydi-server.vbs -oc:\computer_name.doc -d

Is there a script that I can run that will tell me the entire configuration of our other servers: ie ISA(aka Proxy), SAN, NAS, DMS, Terminal Server, Domain Controller, and etc.?

Again, thanks in advance for all your help.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Security Related Software All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: