• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Security Forums

FAQ | Search | Usergroups | Profile | Register | RSS | Posting Guidelines | Recent Posts

Web search engine follies

Users browsing this topic:0 Security Fans, 0 Stealth Security Fans
Registered Security Fans: None
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Spyware // Adware // Trojans Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sharpshooter
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:27 pm    Post subject: Web search engine follies Reply with quote

Interesting development. I use Opera as my default browser with Firefox as backup and MSE if forced. Last week I noticed that every time I typed in a search on Google I would get links to numerous promotion web sites attached to the titles of my search. Example I would type in FCC and the first result would be titled Federal Communications Commission (FCC) Home Page, however the link would be www.monstermarketplace.com. The next results are similar with all titled with FCC associations but the links taking me to sites such as, info.com, moxiesearch.com, findlinks.com, etc. My thoughts were maybe it is Opera doing this so I tried FireFox and MSE with the same results on each. It does not matter which search I use, Google, Yahoo, Ask, etc the results are all the same. My question has anyone else seen this before and if not does anyone think I have a virus? I have run Spybot, a-squared, I have done a system restore all with no results. Service pack updates are complete also. Before I run HijackThis I would like to see if someone else has seen this and can recommend a fix.
Thanks, Sharpshooter
paperboy
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never had this personally but have ran across others talking about it in forums, it is malware, which is odd because you said you did a system restore.

In case you didn't actually do a restore then I picked this solutions off a google search for "linking redirected monstermarketplace" just in case you can't search yourself at the moment Smile

http://www.windowsbbs.com/malware-virus-removal/59529-linking-generally-being-redirected-netser-monstermarketplace.html
sharpshooter
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 7:21 pm    Post subject: thanks paperboy Reply with quote

i looked over my HJT scan and didn't see any of the files that this last guy had problems with so i guess the next thing is to go ahead and post my scan at this site and see if anyone can find the problem. i'm glad that you have heard of this because i'm not getting any response from other requests either which got me wondering if it was just me. and yes i still cannot do a search on any web based engines at this time.
thanks for the help.
ss

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Spyware // Adware // Trojans Discussion All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: