• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Security Forums

FAQ | Search | Usergroups | Profile | Register | RSS | Posting Guidelines | Recent Posts

Recession affected you?

Users browsing this topic:0 Security Fans, 0 Stealth Security Fans
Registered Security Fans: None
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> General Chat

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tom Bair
SF Boss
SF Boss

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do respect your thoughts on the issue and also realize that I cannot simplify a complicated issue as I have done out of frustration of powerlessly watching our society walk down a path of disaster for whatever good intentions involved with the course of actions.

I realize my post sounds an awful lot like hindsight, and 'laying the blame on a scapegoat' ... of which I always have hated and tried to avoid Smile

I agree that there is no easy solution to this mess. I myself am hoarding money in savings as we traverse through this recession, even if I am out buying a home for 190K that one year ago would have sold for at least 275K ... does that really make me a hypocrite? I just know that I would very much regret not making such a smart deal.

I believe what disturbs me the most is seeing my friends who have lived on credit for so many years losing all they have. My wife and I were very fortunate to have switched to a 'cash only' basis of lifestyle about 6 years ago, and it appears we are now reaping the dividends of such a decision now.

God, it sounds like I am peaching, or much worse ... bragging. Think I'll take heed of what little wisdom I've gained over the years and just keep my mouth shut and listen instead. Embarassed
jonbb61
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You were very smart to change to the cash-only lifestyle a number of years ago. I think one positive that will come out of this mess is that many people begin to realize that they can not live off credit and cannot spend what they don't have. Hopefully this will lead to a more stable world in future
Tom Bair
SF Boss
SF Boss

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you listened to President Barak Obama on Jay Leno's Tonight Show last night (my wife refused to watch), you'd detect him saying basically that. Although he stated he wanted laws developed in the future to protect credit card users from unforeseen interest rate jumps and fees, he complimented Americans who are living within their income levels.

Now, let's talk about a sitting US Presadent appearing on a talk show Smile

I couldn't believe it, and had to see it for myself. It's not the man, but the office we hold in high esteem. Thus, the shock of many Americans to see this taking place. Whoever heard of a President being so accessable to the people?

But Obama pulled it off. He talked in plain simple language to let us know he was taking ownership of America's problems. He didn't beat around the bush, and answered all Jay's questions straight-forwardly. I was impressed!

Maybe it is time for change. I like that an American President isn't too good to not appear to the masses on a nightly talk show.
StIlTz
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some signs of the recession shown at my workplace in that some of our programs have been axed by the secretary of defense. Other than that we are hiring and the outlook is still good.

-=StIlTz=-
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Tom Bair
SF Boss
SF Boss

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even Microsoft is feeling it, they are laying off five thousand workers. They also announced they are doing away with merit bonuses starting this year.
tikifragalong
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I work for an oil and gas company, but still no signs of the recession. Everything here has been operating as normal. I am hoping and praying that it stays that way.
RoboGeek
SF Mod
SF Mod

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

6 months after my last post and its still very busy. In fact the usual slow times never happened this year. Completely trashed my plans to expand, since there is no way I could handle the interruption - even for a few days
Fire Ant
Trusted SF Member
Trusted SF Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting you say that RoboGeek. I am in the same situation, too much work and not enough time.

It's interesting that 5 years ago security was seen as something that cost money but now its seen as something which could save money because of reputation, legislation etc.
ironside74
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

recession what recession?
tikifragalong
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I work in the oil and gas business and it has been a little rough. Luckily, I work at a small office for an independent company, so it hasn't really affected me other than the fact that they didn't get a temp for the girl who left on maternity leave. I feel very lucky so far. I continue to hope for the best and expect the worst...
StIlTz
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has been 6 months for me as well since last checked and still have not been affected and have more work than I know what to do with on a regular basis....
I know that other business units within my company have seen some affect - all depends on what programs you are working on and if the funding has been cut.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Survey
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not affected by this recession. i have already job in multinational company and also i am getting offers from other companies. But i have control in my extra expenditure.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> General Chat All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: