• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Security Forums

FAQ | Search | Usergroups | Profile | Register | RSS | Posting Guidelines | Recent Posts

I love virtualisation

Users browsing this topic:0 Security Fans, 0 Stealth Security Fans
Registered Security Fans: None
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> General Chat

View previous topic :: View next topic  
graycat
SF Mod
SF Mod

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:07 pm    Post subject: I love virtualisation Reply with quote

ok, well sometimes at least but this just happens to be one of those occasions! Smile

We're not long had an ESX server in place that pretty much paid for itself within the first 6 weeks due to a DR situation so I'm pretty chuffed with the whole thing. Today though it's just proved itself totally worthwhile again.

We've got an old server that still serves some legacy apps we need but the hardware is dying. Unfortunately this thing is a) an old timer's baby that no-one really knows how he's got built and b) so old the server suppliers just laugh and ask if they can have some pictures. Smile

well after a(nother) hardware failure overnight I finally got clearance from the boss to do a p2v conversion and throw it on the ESX server. Theory being that the hardware can go but at least it might be a bit more stable as a virtual machine. The conversion went well and since it's been up there as a virtual machine the thing is running smoother than every. Not only are all the hardware related issues gone (lol not really surprising that, huh?) but other ongoing ones have just disappeared. Smile

So in honour of virtualisation I'm going to the coffee machine for a celebrationary hot one.
Fire Ant
Trusted SF Member
Trusted SF Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Greycat in my office going to the coffee machine is an insult not a celebration. In fact its an insult to coffee. I am so jealous of your coffee. Oh and well done on the whole virtualisation thing. Now you have to reconcile with the environment when binning that hardware, have another coffee.

Matt_s
graycat
SF Mod
SF Mod

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know what you mean, matt_s. Fortunately I've taken the option of going to Starbucks instead - a much better plan IMO!

I think I'm going to need a forklift to get this old server out, it's that huge Shocked
moondoggie
Lurker
Lurker

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alright, i'm gonna have to agree with the server vendors and ask for pics Wink

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> General Chat All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: