• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Security Forums

FAQ | Search | Usergroups | Profile | Register | RSS | Posting Guidelines | Recent Posts

Minimum ports required for XP

Users browsing this topic:0 Security Fans, 0 Stealth Security Fans
Registered Security Fans: None
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> General Security Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
smabid
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:22 am    Post subject: Minimum ports required for XP Reply with quote

Hi gurus

Actually i am trying to stablish a very strict firewal seting for a segment of computers on my network.
I am thinking to start with client computers. We have all windows xp machines and all are connected to the domain enviroment. I have run a port scanner on one of my machine and found 25 open ports. I think the number is too high for a client computer specially that isnt hosting any thing.
In a nut shell i m looking for minimum ports erquired for clients in domain environment. Apart from domain the machines have kaspersky and ISA clients installed on them. I ned to apply strcict firewall setting without disrption in normal operation.
I hope i will get help from this platform Wink

Regards,
Abid
Dezaxa
Forum Fanatic
Forum Fanatic

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can only establish what ports you need open by listing out the applications and services that the computers on that segment of the network require from servers outside it. These might include

DNS 53
DHCP 67-68
LDAP 389
HTTP 80
HTTPS 443
Microsoft NETBIOS, AD, SMB 135-139, 445
FTP 20-21
SSH 22
Telnet 23
SMTP 25
POP3 110
RPC various, depending on service

etc.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> General Security Discussion All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: