• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Security Forums

FAQ | Search | Usergroups | Profile | Register | RSS | Posting Guidelines | Recent Posts

how much security do I need?

Users browsing this topic:0 Security Fans, 0 Stealth Security Fans
Registered Security Fans: None
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Beginners // Misc. Computer Questions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Poodle
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose the best protection for you is antispywire and antivirus. Do not install 2 antiviruses, they always conflict with each other and can be even cause of crashing the system.
The more security programs doesnt mean the more safety of your PC.
Keep using FF pug-ins (No script and so on). But the best protection is yourself. Try to avoid some kinds of web-sites (you know what I am talking about Wink ). The most active viruses are situated there.
That is all you need, I think .
krugger
SF Mod
SF Mod

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Security by isolation is what you want.

You can do it manually or you can try the new QubesOS if it gets off the ground you will be able to run linux ELF, windows PE and Apple stuff from the same computer in multiple transparent virtual machines.

http://qubes-os.org/Home.html

If you read the paper on it you will understand just how hardcore it is.

http://qubes-os.org/Architecture.html
SecurityTrend
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As mentioned Security software and good practices should be combined as part of you security defense.

I prefer integrated software that includes Anti-Malware, Anti-Virus, Anti-Spyware, Anti-Adware, SPAM and anti-phishing. The software should also include a badsite list and behavioral detections for zero day malware.

I believe an integrated firewall is preferable but as you are using Windows 7, it has quite a good firewall anyway.

'No Script' is great, Firefox also has other addons such as MyWot (Web of trust) to further help identify rouge websites. Another FireFox addon is LinkExtend that includes checking sites from badsite list from multiple sources.

As for multiple anti-malware, generally not a good idea however I have been able to run Microsoft's Security Essentials with other anti-malware solutions, but not necessarily OK with others. Still be cautious with such actions as not generally recommended.

Others have mentioned generally OK to have additional scanners installed and scan periodically rather than realtime protection. MalWareBytes free version a good example. These can again be OK if used cautiously, but be very careful of false positives.

Remember to keep your software, as well as security software, up to date especially with security fixes.

Strong passwords with online banking and email especially so, and change them regularly. EMail passwords are often overlooked but EMail can contain password to other accounts. EMail encryption is also a good idea.

Ahh getting to long winded, try this for a summary ...

More security tips: http://www.freesystemscan.com/top-security-tips.php

Anyway, hope some of that helps. There are many good products and practices around but threats are getting more sophisticated so caution is paramount.

My best security tip: Turn your PC OFF, that might work. Confused
newbie2010
Spammer
Spammer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In some past times, I have also run Win Me for about an year with out anti virus program. I also used to use internet.
vinyl
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At a minimum, you should have a reputable anti-virus application, a hardware firewall through a router, and a software firewall to prevent potentially malicious outbound connections.

If you want to go a little more advanced, you may want to install anti-rootkit software, a tracks eraser, web site safety software (such as site advisor), a packet analyzer, and a link examiner tool.

Information on these topics, as well as security downloads can be found at h**p://cultofthemachine.webs.com.
stevenmour
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:12 am    Post subject: Security Reply with quote

Security is way to access the sites from internet but antivirus are also helpful to protect you computer from unwanted sites or scripts

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Beginners // Misc. Computer Questions All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: