• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Security Forums

FAQ | Search | Usergroups | Profile | Register | RSS | Posting Guidelines | Recent Posts

Broadband internet to another broadband?

Users browsing this topic:0 Security Fans, 0 Stealth Security Fans
Registered Security Fans: None
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Connectivity // Telecommunications // Internet News

View previous topic :: View next topic  
wise_guy2002n
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:21 am    Post subject: Broadband internet to another broadband? Reply with quote

Dear all,

i have a Internet using Broadband give by my ISP, internet works fine there, now i want to place additional linksys broadband to another room, what i have done is through a network cable from ISP Broadband to my second broadband in internet socket, the xp machine connected with broadband-2 is able to connect but internet isn't working, any suggestions?

Configuration is.

Broadband-1 by ISP: 192.168.1.1/24
DHCP enable from 100 to onwards
assign default gateway to client is 192.168.1.1
DNS : ISP DNS

Broadband-2 in room

192.168.1.2/24
DHCP enable from 50 to 60
assign default gateway to clients is 192.168.1.2
DNS : ISP DNS

any suggestions?

Thanks
AdamV
SF Mod
SF Mod

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ignore the internet port on "broadband2"
Connect from one LAN port to another LAN port (ie ethernet to ethernet).
You might need a crossover cable for this, but many modern devices will auto-detect and not need one.

Disable DHCP entirely on second router. Almost all SOHO-class devices (in my experience) give you no control over the gateway address and instead always give out their own IP as the gateway. You need the gateway to be your first device, so let it handle DHCP exclusively.

In essence, you will now be using a relatively expensive router in place of a very cheap switch.
njan
Trusted SF Member
Trusted SF Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AdamV wrote:
Ignore the internet port on "broadband2"
Connect from one LAN port to another LAN port (ie ethernet to ethernet).
You might need a crossover cable for this, but many modern devices will auto-detect and not need one.

Disable DHCP entirely on second router. Almost all SOHO-class devices (in my experience) give you no control over the gateway address and instead always give out their own IP as the gateway. You need the gateway to be your first device, so let it handle DHCP exclusively.

In essence, you will now be using a relatively expensive router in place of a very cheap switch.

+1 on this, although I'd change the LAN IP address of the second router so you can still manage both of them (ie. change the LAN IP address of 'broadband2' to something like 192.168.1.2).
wise_guy2002n wrote:

any suggestions?

A neater solution would be to use something like a pair of homeplug devices, a switch, or a wireless bridge if appropriate.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Connectivity // Telecommunications // Internet News All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: