• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Security Forums

FAQ | Search | Usergroups | Profile | Register | RSS | Posting Guidelines | Recent Posts

UPS email locks-out user

Users browsing this topic:0 Security Fans, 0 Stealth Security Fans
Registered Security Fans: None
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Viruses // Worms

View previous topic :: View next topic  
morongo
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:45 pm    Post subject: UPS email locks-out user Reply with quote

My daughter clicked on an email supposedly from UPS (since she had a package coming), it turned out to be a virus/worm/trojan, it messed her machine up.

She's running XP home, sp2.

She tells me she ran Kaspersky and it found a bunch of stuff but before it could finish, the machine shut down.

She rebooted and discovered she couldn't get in to the machine, so called me over to have a look.

When you try to boot the system it goes to a normal log in screen, user clicks their icon (no password required on this machine), screen flashes and then returns to the original (same) log-in screen.

Trying start in safe mode does the same thing, it goes right back to the safe-mode start screen whether you select 'safe mode', 'safe mode with networking' or 'safe mode command prompt', no chance to get to safe-mode or a command prompt, can't get into the system.

Looks to me like it's gonna take a new system drive and just use the old drive for a data drive (after clean-up).

Any thoughts?

Tony
Packrat1947
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kaspersky has a free boot cd that you can run, update and clean your system. It comes down as an .iso which you burn to a disc.

The updates take quite a bit of time (maybe 30 minutes or so). The scan takes many hours, so run it overnight. It takes care of the normal trojans and rootkits.

F-secure and Dr. WebCure it also have bootables. We use these when a system won't boot. Personally, I always clone the HD before doing heavy duty malware cleaning.

Good luck,
Packrat1947
morongo
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, packrat.

I was gonna boot from a cd and fix the registry entry that causes this but my daughter was paranoid about other malware that might be on the drive so just wanted me to re-drive the machine, which is what I did.

Sometimes it's just easier to go with the flow than argue.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Viruses // Worms All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: