• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Security Forums

FAQ | Search | Usergroups | Profile | Register | RSS | Posting Guidelines | Recent Posts

Installing windows over windows

Users browsing this topic:0 Security Fans, 0 Stealth Security Fans
Registered Security Fans: None
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Windows

View previous topic :: View next topic  
H3mp
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:55 am    Post subject: Installing windows over windows Reply with quote

So for reasons that are irrelevant to my post I thought that I had crashed my XP. Turns out It was just that I had accidentally enabled SATA support in my bios. By the Time I had figured it out I already reinstalled XP using the "dont change this filesystem" option (hoping it would just fix my last installation). So now when I boot I get the two OS options, both being Windows XP Pro. One is a fresh install, the other my last. I didn't even know this was a way of partitioning your harddrive.

The only thing I can think of doing is using a GPart liveCD to delete and resize, but that always crashes every OS on my harddrive.

Maybe I can backup my OS and resize?

Any help would be apprecited, I really dont want two of the same OS's.
ryansutton
Trusted SF Member
Trusted SF Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to edit one of the entries out of your boot.ini file.
H3mp
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 questions. 1. how do i know which of the OS's to delete in the boot.ini notepad? the contents contain two almost identical entries:

Quote:

operating systems
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS.0="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

and 2. By deleting this won't I only be deleting the route into the parition, instead of the partition itself? I'm already getting errors when I try to download things to my old OS, they tell me I dont have enough disk space.

aaarrrggggg
ryansutton
Trusted SF Member
Trusted SF Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are not sure you can use MSconfig to help. Go to Start > Run > Msconfig > boot.ini tab and click check boot paths. It will ask you if you want to remove the invalid path, choose yes.

Quote:
By deleting this won't I only be deleting the route into the parition, instead of the partition itself?

No. If you look at the boot.ini lines they both are on the same disk, same partition so you are fine.

As for the disk space errors, how much free space do you have on your hard drive? It sounds like not much?
H3mp
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should have like another 130 something Gigz left, its a brand new SATA and this is the first problem I've had with it.

Maybe it would suffice to explain how I got here, cause I'm sure that is what caused it.

I buy a150 Gig SATA.
I attempt to install bootleg XP, but am met with a continuous "no hard drive found" error, or something similar.
After searching google for an hour I am prompted to go into my Bios and disable "Native SATA support." I figured it was because my XP disc was mad mad old, so its now legacy.
I succesfully install XP.

Then I attempt to install Windows 7 on a DIFFERENT harddrive on the SAME pc (had to point that out). I get impatient and give up half way through.
I put my other SATA in and attempt to boot into XP.
Blue screen of death
I reinstall XP and curse my luck
no luck after reinstall, same error

I go into Bios and learn that the Windows 7 install enabled SATA support again.
i disable it and then boot into XP.
Then i see the two options

so thats my story. Im rather afraid to mess with my boot.ini as with my luck I'll mispell something vital. I'll wait to hear some opinions on what happened before I do

Thanks again for the help, your saving my ass big time (i go to school online)

~H3mp
ryansutton
Trusted SF Member
Trusted SF Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

H3mp wrote:

I attempt to install bootleg XP, but am met with a continuous "no hard drive found" error, or something similar.

One of the problems with bootleg software is you have no idea if any of the binaries have been modified. For all you know you could be installing a root kit on your machine. I would recommend purchasing a legit, non-hacked version of XP and reinstalling. That should take care of all your problems.
H3mp
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

any suggestion beyond buying a legit copy? I dont exactly have the dough.

Although I have been thinking of switching to LinuxMint. That would take me a while to learn, but would be better from what I hear.

But I grew up on XP, it's a classic and I'd like to keep it on it least one of my harddrives.

Sad
ryansutton
Trusted SF Member
Trusted SF Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can't afford a legit copy, then go with Linux. Stay away from bootlegs, morals aside, you don't want anything to do with them.
H3mp
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread has gone from helping me with a windows problem to telling me to use legitimate proprietary software.

Anyone have any idea what might be causing the memory errors im getting?
IT_Juggler
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:44 pm    Post subject: Delete WINDOWS.0 Reply with quote

H3mp wrote:
operating systems
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS.0="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

The first entry indicates that it's pointing at a directory named "WINDOWS.0" and the second entry points to the directory named "WINDOWS". Windows XP installs to a directory named WINDOWS by default (I used to work with a guy who always changed that to BILLSUX, but that's another story) so that has to be the original installation. The second installation found the WINDOWS directory and created a new one named WINDOWS.0.

Delete the "WINDOWS.0" entry from boot.ini and then you can delete the entire WINDOWS.0 directory from the hard drive to free up space.

Then go purchase a legitimate copy of Windows.
Jennyjon
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At time of installing OS just repair it rather than install new one . You want to install new OS than save in C drive , after saving in C drive only C rive is formated and other data is safe , so no need to do any back up . Follow the path of partition carefully .

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Windows All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: