• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Security Forums

FAQ | Search | Usergroups | Profile | Register | RSS | Posting Guidelines | Recent Posts

pc activity monitoring software

Users browsing this topic:0 Security Fans, 0 Stealth Security Fans
Registered Security Fans: None
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> General Software

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rick99
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:31 pm    Post subject: pc activity monitoring software Reply with quote

I'm about to purchase a pc activity monitoring program (Family Cyber Alert) to keep an eye on what my kids are getting into when online...just a tool to help me better guide them and know what potential trouble areas they are getting off into. My friend uses it and it sounds like a good, helpful program.

My understanding is that it logs all activity locally on the PC - does anyone know if this somehow makes my PC (and therefore any personal information) more vulnerable for other security / privacy issues?

Thx for any feedback...
operat0r2
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beware the savvy kid ... you can google easy ways to get around any spy software...
* disable boot on everything hard drive
* put the computer in a secure keylocked box
* enable bios password
* setup a user for them that DOES NOT HAVE administrator rights so they cant stop the spy software
krugger
SF Mod
SF Mod

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say it is probably better to talk to the kids. Rootkiting their box is not a very good way to establish trust...

I mean if I was a kid and my parents pulled a stunt like that, I would either not have used the computer or would be booting from a USB a backtrack distro to do some serious damage.
rick99
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the thoughts. As far as the trust aspect of it, that's a another discussion I guess. We absolutely talk to the kids and agree that the more open the communications can be the better. But in this day and age, we barely can keep up with what kids are getting into online, and while our kids are fairly open with us, kids being kids, they don't tell us everything, even when they have nothing to hide.

This will just allow me once or twice a week, check the activity log, and if there is somethng thatI'm not at all familiar with or looks questionable, maybe I can learn a little more about it to decide if it's something that I should be talking with the kids about,

Haven't actually decided if it makes more sense to let them know we have this program - pros and cons to both sides - more likely we'll tell them in the name of trust, while recognizing that this might just mean they take any PC activity they think we wouldn't approve of and do it elsewhere. It's not foolproof - but still a helpful tool I think.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> General Software All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: