• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Security Forums

FAQ | Search | Usergroups | Profile | Register | RSS | Posting Guidelines | Recent Posts

Is your router's firewall necessary?

Users browsing this topic:0 Security Fans, 0 Stealth Security Fans
Registered Security Fans: None
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Firewalls // Intrusion Detection - External Security

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nekkiu
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:05 pm    Post subject: Is your router's firewall necessary? Reply with quote

Lately I've been having problems connecting to games such as MW2 SC2 etc, each time I tried to connect to a host, I would immediately get disconnected, if I attempt to ping www.google.com in cmd I would receive the error, 'ping request could not find...' so i assumed there must be some kind of dns problem.

well apparently, after talking to my isp and reaching tier3, the tech supp rep just turned off my firewall on my netgear modem/router gateway CDG24G and everything started working flawlessly. I can't access the firewall option in 192.168 strangely, there is no page for that, why is my ISP required to turn off my modem's firewall?

my concern is that he mentioned there should not be any problem with my security as long as i maintain an active firewall on my computer, now i would like to see what your opinion is, does having two firewalls, one on your router and one on your computer work simultaneously better than just having one?

thank you for reading, anyone's opinion here for me is greatly valued.
njan
Trusted SF Member
Trusted SF Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Is your router's firewall necessary? Reply with quote

Nekkiu wrote:

my concern is that he mentioned there should not be any problem with my security as long as i maintain an active firewall on my computer, now i would like to see what your opinion is, does having two firewalls, one on your router and one on your computer work simultaneously better than just having one?

Having a dedicated firewall device independent from your PC is beneficial, as it provides you with protection even if your on-host firewall isn't functioning, for instance during PC startup or if the service is stopped.

It may also guard against certain forms of attack lower down the network stack which in your current configuration, depending upon exactly how your router has been reconfigured, you are more vulnerable to.

Have you tried updating the firmware on your router or switching it out for a different model? cheaper firewall/router devices can often be fairly unreliable, and often using a more stable model or updating to the latest version of the embedded OS from the vendor can sometimes help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Jafer
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would recommend both router and endpoint firewall. Especially if you have more than one computer\laptop behind it. As njan says if there are any problems with your software firewall or you have other laptops without a software firewall then it becomes very important.

Is all a home based router firewall does is inbound protection and stateful packet inspection, basically blocks everything on the inbound and allows everything on the outbound connection. Having a firewall on both the system and router should not be a problem at all. Actually it is encouraged to have layers of defence.
CoreDefend
Forum Fanatic
Forum Fanatic

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your ISP should have been able to open certain ports that are required for your games/applications.

As the other posts, the network firewall (router) protects you at a different layer of attacks.

A PC firewall will help protect against both network and application attacks.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Firewalls // Intrusion Detection - External Security All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: