• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Security Forums

FAQ | Search | Usergroups | Profile | Register | RSS | Posting Guidelines | Recent Posts

Social Engineering someones phone number

Users browsing this topic:0 Security Fans, 0 Stealth Security Fans
Registered Security Fans: None
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Physical Security and Social Engineering

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Corsair1447
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 8:35 am    Post subject: Social Engineering someones phone number Reply with quote

hey i was wondering if anyone knew any goot techniques for SEing a phone number from someone else without them knowing i am the one trying to get the info.
Stuff i know:
Trying to get it from their friend
whitepages.com search for last name
my friend doing the se for me with me pulling strings

but any other ideas? im open for all suggestions that have worked 4 u
thanks
Anub!$
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

:blank face:

Directory enquiries....
SorCerer
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Direct approach : get a nice girl pretend to do some sort of a survey for ... just about anything, if the girl looks nice Wink In the end she will ask for his phone number (some employers do a random check to see if the survey is accurate).
Web_Master
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 2:05 am    Post subject: 50/50 Reply with quote

Well yes a good looking girl could get you a phone number from a guy - especially a (not so good looking guy) ...

but just in case you were after a phone number of a girl ... Duh ... then you may need some rethinking on your approach to social engineering !

Wink
Mill
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I once signed up for a March for Life campaign (which was legit). There was a girl whose number I wanted, so I used the campaign to ask her to contribute. The sign-up sheet required that she give her whole name and phone number.

Voila!
Corsair1447
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice idea with the survey... the thought of using a one of my friends thats a girl did come across my mind but the survey will be very good... hmm thanks man

and it is a boy so no problems there lol now all i need is my friend to cooperate....

thanks 4 the suggestions
Corsair1447
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok sorry guys im a little off track here...

my topic is apperantly too shady so im sorry any moderator who wishes my delete this topic
securitynmind
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard Mike Swickey, a computer privacy consultant, speak at a conference and he talked about social engineering and people getting phone numbers, etc. from people they shouldn't. He talked about something that happened to him to show that Identity Theft doesn't have to mean stealing money. People can 'borrow' your identity for all kinds of reasons. He was a one-time political liberal - turned conservative - who angered someone bad enough for them to run a draft Dennis Kucinich For President (I think that's who it was. Some huge liberal type.) web site UNDER SWICKEY'S NAME. The imposter got information from several sources, using social engineering, that allowed them to run this web site campaign for this Kucinich guy without Swickey ever knowing about it until he saw it in the newspaper! He was talking about what an experience it was to read an "interview" with yourself that you never gave. Social Engineering threats are particularly insidious because there is no way to prevent this type of thing. You have to trust others to not give information that is crucial to allowing someone to masquerade as anyone - even you! And it's not always about money!
snootalope
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, what are you going to do once you get this persons number? just prank call em a couple times, talk $hit about how elite you are for getting someone's number, then drag it on till it ends up in a fist fight? good luck
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ThePsyko
SF Mod
SF Mod

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I don't see learning how to SE a phone number as such a bad thing. It's a skill that comes in very handy when preparing for pen tests, and some of the suggestions here are very valid. I don't think the OP had pen testing in mind when s/he posted, but that doesn't diminish the usefulness of the skill.
RoboGeek
SF Mod
SF Mod

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

best one? Can I have your business card?

You get inside phone numbers, you get to see the structure of their email system and you get prefixes for wardialing.
Everybody will hand you a biz card - even me!

You ARE the weakest link.. BYE-BYE!!
John the Fancyman
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmm.

What I usually do, is find a bit about the person before i try to find out there email, phone number, address etc.

What you could try would be to get a clipboard, a sheet of paper with a bunch of random names, and try going to the place where the particular person is. Ask them a simple question like, 'which of these two peanut butters do you think is better?" Youll get their name for sure, and you could ask more if you wanted. Maybe say they would get some sort of special offer from your "company" if they would like to give more information and partake in a questionaire.

If not, you have their name, and you could white page it for a phone number or something like that. But if you want to do it old fashion like, you would tail them around your town, seeing where they go and what they do. Interests and things of that nature. Armed now with this solid information, you could safely ask them questions about things, and delve further into their trust banks. From there, you could figure out their adress, phone numbers of any kind, and their email.

But if your trying to just make it hands off, without them knowing, the old survey or fake identity trick usually works pretty well.
The_Real_Gandalf
Trusted SF Member
Trusted SF Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking from experience here...

Easiest way to get a phone number...

A simple pick , into his paper bills ,since most postmen leave them in plain sight... All phone numbers , even the ones with encryption are written on those bills...
If you know just the name of the person , then ofcourse you can ask the phone operator for further info... if the phone has a non-listed number, then you can maybe lear the address and proceed with the previous step (checking his phone bills)....

This is a typical footprinting job on physical level...you could get then his social id number or other data in order to gather as much info as you need..

I would like to point though that if you decide to tamper with someone's mail , you are risking a very high penalty by the law...

As for gaining from it...

While you have phone number, address , full name, the next step can be from "spoofing" phone calls to ordeing things on his behalf ... too many thigs can be done...

Gandalf
VicDelmonte
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:44 am    Post subject: Re: Social Engineering someones phone number Reply with quote

Corsair1447 wrote:
hey i was wondering if anyone knew any goot techniques for SEing a phone number from someone else without them knowing i am the one trying to get the info.
Stuff i know:Voip Phone System
Trying to get it from their friend
whitepages.com search for last name
my friend doing the se for me with me pulling strings

but any other ideas? im open for all suggestions that have worked 4 u
thanks

Did you try those three ideas already?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Physical Security and Social Engineering All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: