• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Security Forums

FAQ | Search | Usergroups | Profile | Register | RSS | Posting Guidelines | Recent Posts

Folder sharing across networks

Users browsing this topic:0 Security Fans, 0 Stealth Security Fans
Registered Security Fans: None
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Networking

View previous topic :: View next topic  
user4937
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:30 pm    Post subject: Folder sharing across networks Reply with quote

Hello all,

I'm relatively new in the networking field. I'm in school for IT, focused on security and forensic investigations.

However, I have a school project that has stumped me. I admit I'm at my wit's end. The project's due date has already passed and I failed. I am just trying to get this done, so that I can sleep at night.

Here's a simple diagram:

The projects asks for a hybrid bus-wired star topology, involving 2 off-the-shelf routers to be daisy-chained (bus) and have whatever number of workstations at each router (both wired and wireless), forming the star(s), all in IPv4.

So, I went with 2 Netgears WPN824v3 (4 private ports wireless routers). For the sake of me not getting lost in this, let's standardize it:
- N1 for the 1st router
- N2 for the 2nd.

N1 is connected to a cable modem. N2's public port is connected to one of the private ports on the N1. So, N1 has 2 workstations + a networked printer + N2, and 5 wireless clients. N2 has 4 workstations wired + 6 wireless clients. Essentially these 2 routers are 2 individual networks. ALL clients on both networks are configured for RDP, and have internet access. While all clients (including wireless) on N2 are able to RDP into any system on N1, ALL clients on N1 must use N2's public IP to RDP into any N2 clients, via port forwarding. ALL clients (N1 & N2) are able to print to the networked printer on N1.

However, if N2's public port is taken outta the deal and we daisy chain the 2 routers using private ports at both ends of the bus, then N2's DHCP is bypassed, and all clients are now on a single network. N1's DHCP is assigning IPs for N2's star. This solves the folder sharing issue, since we're in N1's network, BUT the wireless clients @ N2 are no longer able to access the internet.

Can these 2 networks share folders with this equipment? How? Please help me understand.

Thank you all,
- George

edited:
I can add a network diagram of what's going on, if that helps?
user4937
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:07 pm    Post subject: ??? Reply with quote

C'mon folks. There's gotta be somebody that has an idea...

I mean there's always the possibility of using a bridge (brouter).

This cannot be done just using these 2 pieces of hardware?
cjoyce1980
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can configure the subnet mask on the routers then try the following config below.

Span the network over 2 subnets rather than one can be easier when doing using home networking gear as it does not have the features of cisco equipment.

N1:
IP: 192.168.0.2
SN: 255.255.254.0
GW: 192.168.0.1
DHCP: 192.168.0.64-128

N2
IP: 192.168.1.2
SN: 255.255.254.0
GW: 192.168.1.1
DHCP: 192.168.1.64-128

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Networking All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: