• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Security Forums

FAQ | Search | Usergroups | Profile | Register | RSS | Posting Guidelines | Recent Posts

Folder and File Security on Laptop

Users browsing this topic:0 Security Fans, 0 Stealth Security Fans
Registered Security Fans: None
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Security Related Software

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mech_go
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:51 pm    Post subject: Folder and File Security on Laptop Reply with quote

Hello all,

I am new to folder and file security for my laptop. Is there any good free software out there for locking files and folders from being accessed from others on my laptop. I am using Windows 7 and have a McAfee Security Centre.

Thanks.
Fire Ant
Trusted SF Member
Trusted SF Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mech_go,

I use TrueCrypt. You can encrypt files, folders, disks and create virtual disks. It is available for various operating systems and is free.

Fire Ant
capi
SF Senior Mod
SF Senior Mod

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to complement Fire Ant's post, I'll quote myself from a previous post:
I wrote:
TrueCrypt is well known, open source, free (both in terms of cost and in terms of freedom), and it works for Windows/Linux/Mac.

TrueCrypt is mainly a disk encryption product, however it can also work with a "container" file. Instead of encrypting a partition or disk, you just tell it to create a special encrypted file and store everything in there.

To work with TrueCrypt, you open the program, tell it to open the container you desire, enter the password and then a virtual drive appears on My Computer. Everything you place in that drive is encrypted on the fly, in realtime. You can access your documents directly from the virtual drive, you can open them there and you can save them there. When you open the document it gets decrypted on the fly; when you save it, it gets encrypted on the fly.

When you are done, just click a button on TrueCrypt to tell it to unmount the virtual drive -- no password necessary.

The beauty of this is that the protected files are never actually stored decrypted anywhere, just in RAM (unless of course you save a copy outside of the virtual drive). If the power goes down while the virtual drive is open, the data will still be encrypted. There is no "reencryption" process, so there is no need for entering your password a second time.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Security Related Software All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: