• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Security Forums

FAQ | Search | Usergroups | Profile | Register | RSS | Posting Guidelines | Recent Posts

DNS keeps reconfiguring itself SBS2003

Users browsing this topic:0 Security Fans, 0 Stealth Security Fans
Registered Security Fans: None
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Exchange 2000 // 2003 // 2007 & Active Directory

View previous topic :: View next topic  
moondoggie
Lurker
Lurker

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:43 am    Post subject: DNS keeps reconfiguring itself SBS2003 Reply with quote

i have this SBS2003 server that will not keep its DNS settings no matter how much i've worked on it. it all started a few months ago when i noticed the following error in the system logs:

Code:
Event Type:   Warning
Event Source:   NETLOGON
Event Category:   None
Event ID:   5782
Date:      1/11/2011
Time:      10:39:22 PM
User:      N/A
Computer:   SBSERVER
Description:
Dynamic registration or deregistration of one or more DNS records failed with the following error:
No DNS servers configured for local system.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
Data:
0000: 7c 26 00 00               |&..   

the thing is, that DNS is working for all workstations joined to the domain, both internally and externally. but when i go to the DNS console, i find that there are only two folders listed under the forward lookup zone for the local domain: tcp and _msdcs. i have rebuilt the DNS zone a few handfuls of times now and each time all the folders under the lookup zone return, only to disappear within two days. dcdiag and netdiag both return no errors for their test runs. does anyone have any other possible places i can look to figure this out?

i will say that the only other configuration in the forward zone besides the domain DNS is the external company website DNS A record. it's in a separate zone but has no other function than to hard wire the IP of the external website so that internal users can access it. other than that, this is a pretty standard DNS setup (or so i thought anyway Rolling Eyes )
moondoggie
Lurker
Lurker

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks like i solved my own problem. found in the DNS advanced properties on the NIC it did not have "Register this connection in DNS" checked for some reason Rolling Eyes so far since adding that back in i have had no netlogon warnings about no DNS configured. hopefully this trend continues Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Exchange 2000 // 2003 // 2007 & Active Directory All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: