• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Security Forums

FAQ | Search | Usergroups | Profile | Register | RSS | Posting Guidelines | Recent Posts

iPad on my AD network?

Users browsing this topic:0 Security Fans, 0 Stealth Security Fans
Registered Security Fans: None
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Networking

View previous topic :: View next topic  
manning
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:33 pm    Post subject: iPad on my AD network? Reply with quote

So the back story is, one of our salesmen wants an iPad and keeps coming up with lame excuses as to why the laptop that is currently assigned to him isn't cutting it and he should have an iPad instead. I say if he wants an iPad so bad he can go out and buy one himself, but I won't support it, and I'm not even sure he will be able to use it effectively on our network. Beyond that, he'll have to rely on whatever apps are out there to present PowerPoint and work in Excel and Word files on his iPad.

So, the question is, can we connect one of these things to our AD network in a way that he will be able to browse directories and find the files he needs. Worst case we can just e-mail whatever he needs to him, but that seems kind of round about.

Yes, I did use the search function.

Thanks in advance
graycat
SF Mod
SF Mod

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greetings

I can't speak from a formal point as I only use my iPad as a test base. That said I don't think they are AD aware as run iOS not OSX.

if he hooks it up to Exchange for his e-mail then you will have remote wipe and policy control over it just like any other iOS device. In that case you get a bit more security ..... and remote wipe I believe.

No idea how you'd browse file shares with and iPad to be honest. You can use something like DropBox for remote file sync if needed but it won't integrate with your servers fully as far as I'm aware.

After having my iPad for the last few weeks I think it's a great tool that sits between the iPhone / smart phone and a full blown laptop. Is it right for your sales guy? well that's something for his / your bosses to decide and the business to pay for.

Support it will be a pain .... unless they get you one too of course Wink
PhiBer
SF Mod
SF Mod

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iPAD's don't support Active Directory integration. Moreover, as already mentioned, you can't just browse network shares at your leisure. In my experience iPAD's have been used in a corporate environment strictly to show off floor plans (via PDF's), photos, and send/receive e-mails.

To access files, use DropBox. For PDF's, use GoodReader. Other than that, you can't do much else with the iPAD in a corporate environment.

It's a great sales/marketing and content reading tool, but not so great content creation or corporate usage tool.
manning
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all. Yeah, that was kind of what I thought. I mean if the guy wants one to use for showing off, then fine, but don't try and sell it as a primary requirement.

I have limited experience so far with iPhones or pads and that experience has been luke warm. Granted it was partly because they were on the AT&T network with super sucks in our area.
flyfish2205
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's cool topic!

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Networking All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: