• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Security Forums

FAQ | Search | Usergroups | Profile | Register | RSS | Posting Guidelines | Recent Posts

What Motherboard do I have? Identify/Identification

Users browsing this topic:0 Security Fans, 0 Stealth Security Fans
Registered Security Fans: None
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Hardware // Upgrades

View previous topic :: View next topic  
poison12121212
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2003 1:40 pm    Post subject: What Motherboard do I have? Identify/Identification Reply with quote

exactly what motherboard I have inside my pc, I have no idea how.......

I try going into device manager but I have no idea what im looking at

ty

Edited by Rottz: Renamed Subject to more appropriate title.
Billy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2003 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 ways of tell what mobo you have, either when u switch the pc on u get the post screen, at the top or bottom u get the mobo model number, with that u seach on google, and should come up with the model and brand, another way is to open the case and look directly at the board, usually there is a big model number i.e Abit - rev 2 BEII, type that in the google search which will revert you Abit.com with the model number of BEII model.

hope that helps
viksit
SF Reviewer
SF Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2003 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well there are quite a few methods to do that.

One is, to physically open your cabinet up, but only if you're comfortable R&Ding with your computer Smile

Secondly, you can download some specific detection software. You could try www.download.com or this link :

http://www.google.co.in/search?q=motherboard+detector&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&meta=

If your computer is branded, and you still have the manuals, some details might be had there as well

HTH
--

vIkSiT
CHeeKY
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2003 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

go here http://www.voodoofiles.com/6280 download PCMark, click on system info once installed Smile
siarad
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Free Belarc Advisor http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html & does sooo much more including showing which bug fixes aren't properly installed when you think they are!
uncletom
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take the lid off

Simple, effective, quick, make sure you're earthed though (blue sparks are not a computers best friend!)

All the motherboards I've ever come accross have had some form of identifying information printed on them. Usually the brand and model of motherboard will be stamped in white in the middle of motherboard clearly in big letters.
MoiraA

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If typing the BIOS string into Google doesn't produce much information, the part number should be printed on the mobo itself. You can also try typing the BIOS string into http://www.wimsbios.com/ to find out your particular model.

If you're still stumped, http://www.motherboards.org has a selection of mobo identification tools for more help.

Aida32 is similar to Belarc which has already been mentioned, but is much more comprehensive and should give you some info about your motherboard (and the rest of your system).
slammincivic
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure of other boards but all the Abits I have looked on have the brand and model on the board in white.

http://www.abit-usa.com/products/mb/

Click on any pic of the boards to enlarge and you can see model and brand on them.
ShaolinTiger
Forum Fanatic
Forum Fanatic

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well this one for example has KT7A superimposed on the southbridge, but well it doesn't really look like that:

I still think there is nothing that easily allows you to ID a motherboard from physically looking at it.

Software is the best option, or if it's a stock machine (HP/Compaq/Dell etc.) you can look up the model number on the manufacturer website to find out what motherboard is used.

Not many machines I have ever seen have had anything that made any sense at all on the motherboard.

Also you can try SiSoft Sandra (one of my favourite bits of Hardware testing and identification software).

You can check it out here:

http://www.sisoftware.co.uk/

Last edited by ShaolinTiger on Tue Sep 16, 2003 8:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
slammincivic
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with you. Software is the best bet. I was just showing that there are some boards that have the model and brand on them.

I believe that stock machines are virtually impossible to tell what type of board that have by looking at them. Agree with ST, model number only way to go there. Smile

EDIT: You've been lucky uncletom. Every stock machine that i've had to work on just had random numbers that meant nothing. Crying or Very sad

Last edited by slammincivic on Tue Sep 16, 2003 7:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
uncletom
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GigaByte boards generally print the model number to the side of the PCI slots and the model name and other fancy terms between the PCI slots. MSI do this as well. Ususally it's quite easy to distingguist the model name from the rest of the stuff printed on the MoBo as it's about 10 times the size.

EDIT: sorry I cross posted there, fair point about stock machines as well (though the stock machine I've got has it printed on the motherboard!)

Last edited by uncletom on Tue Sep 16, 2003 6:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
mrochester
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you use software to find out the make and model of your motherboard (I'd recommend Aida32 everytime), I can pretty much guarantee that if you're computer is made by any of the big brands (Time, Dell etc etc), then you will NOT be able to get any useful information about your motherboard from software.

To find out the motherboard make and model for such computers, you'll likely have to open up the machine and examine your motherboard for the make and model number (usually printed near the PCI slots or Norhtbridge or Southbridge). Once you have done this you can then visit the respective manufacturers website to gain more info. about the board.

PLEASE NOTE though that big name computer manufacturers quite often use motherboards that are NOT available to end users and therefore have a different model number. If this is the case, you'd basically have to find the model number closest to the one you are searching for and cross check that it is the same board by comparing the picture on the site with the board in your computer.
tree_twobears
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 12:59 am    Post subject: Re: What Motherboard do I have? Identify/Identification Reply with quote

I see the new (dupe) thread is locked... Hope this is on topic. Smile

For Intel boards, there is a small utility you can run which tells you which chipset you have.

http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scripts-df/Detail_Desc.asp?agr=Y&ProductID=178&DwnldID=6541
RoboGeek
SF Mod
SF Mod

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One other way not mentioned is by FCC ID. Its usually eched into the board somewhere and each part in a PC has one. If you search on the number it will usually turn up.
This works for video, sound, modems, etc too

Some sites that can identify the part from that:

http://www.fcc.gov/oet/fccid/

http://www.repairfaq.org/REPAIR/F_FCC_ID.html

http://www.tomsvariety.com/fccframe.htm

This is a good way even if there are no identifiable markings on any chips left
Look for something like this:

siarad
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FCC used to be great but since the EU, bah, got it's hands on such they just say CE. It's now impossible to find manufacturers, except perhaps MB, since they always fail to put their names even in manuals. Finding drivers for un-named items is just impossible now.
viamtech
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best way to identify the model nuber of a motherboard is open the case of yoru panel and remove the motherboard from panel. Make and model number of the motherboard will be printed on it.

Regards viamtech.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Hardware // Upgrades All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: