• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Security Forums

FAQ | Search | Usergroups | Profile | Register | RSS | Posting Guidelines | Recent Posts

I want to add up a new hard disk

Users browsing this topic:0 Security Fans, 0 Stealth Security Fans
Registered Security Fans: None
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Hardware // Upgrades

View previous topic :: View next topic  
General_Kernel
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2003 7:52 am    Post subject: I want to add up a new hard disk Reply with quote

I currently have a Western Digital Caviar hard disk with 20.5GB capacity and 5400 RPM (model WD205AA). I want to add a Seagate 80GB 7200RPM hard disk. My Award BIOS is dated December 21, 2000.

Can my BIOS recognize the new hard disk? What should I do if I decide to add the new high capacity HD?
siarad
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2003 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As the new drive is faster it's probably better to use it as the boot drive. Download free xxcopy from http://www.xcopy.com. Put the new drive in as D, run xxcopy C:\ D:\ /clone to copy the old to the new. You may need to make it boot-able sometimes not. To make any drive boot-able download free Ranish http://www.ranish.com/part. Put a floppy disc in, run Ranish & push A to make a boot-able floppy. Boot from it holding the Ctrl key to boot Ranish change to the second drive & push B to make it boot-able push F2 to save & Ctrl Alt Del to restart do remove the floppy. Your PC will now boot from the new HDD.
Zepher
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it doesn't recognize it, then flash the BIOS.
Just go to the boards site and download the BIOS file and flash utility.

You'll know right away when you plug the drive in and try to boot up if it recognizes it or not. One of my computers would get stuck when it scans the IDE drives on boot up, flashed the BIOS and all was good.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Hardware // Upgrades All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: